7.0.7-7.0.7~ubuntu23.04.1 freezing every minute

This version is freezing every minute, I always have to kill it to continue, every minute. Anyone else with the same issue?

Not sure if it is related, but sometimes it shows this in the command line

✦4 ➜ kicad Base_Board_HW.kicad_pro
libva error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so failed: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so: undefined symbol: _ZN6GmmLib16GmmClientContext27CreateCustomResInfoObject_2EP33GMM_RESCREATE_CUSTOM_PARAMS_2_REC
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so init failed
INFO: Created TensorFlow Lite XNNPACK delegate for CPU.
Opening in existing browser session.
libva error: dlopen of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so failed: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so: undefined symbol: _ZN6GmmLib16GmmClientContext27CreateCustomResInfoObject_2EP33GMM_RESCREATE_CUSTOM_PARAMS_2_REC
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so init failed
^Z
[5]  + 877780 suspended  kicad Base_Board_HW.kicad_pro
Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.7-7.0.7~ubuntu23.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.2
	FreeType 2.12.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.14.1
	libcurl/7.88.1 OpenSSL/3.0.8 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.0.9 zstd/1.5.4 libidn2/2.3.3 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.4/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.52.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Ubuntu 23.04, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, ubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Aug 13 2023 23:14:43
	wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.74.0
	OCC: 7.6.3
	Curl: 7.88.1
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 12.3.0 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Do you have KiCad python plugins installed (and used)?

Did you just install updates for your system? Try restarting your system to see if the issue persists.

@eelik I have plugins. But I haven’t changed them since 7.0. And I was not using them now.

@craftyjon I keep my system updated every day, multiple times a day.
My uptime is 11h, I will try restarting…

Things I should consider…

The project is big and complex, but it was designed smoothly using versions from 7.0 to 7.0.6, so far. It is also done, I am just reworking a few small things post-fabrication.

I was editing footprints on another instance of the tool.

I noticed that Kicad was using all my 15 processors, and it consumed all the memory too (32GB)

Since it was frozen a lot I was killing it. I was also not removing the locks before starting a new instance of it.

These locks are here…

~Base_Board_HW.kicad_pcb.lck 
~Base_Board_HW.kicad_sch.lck 

I was just ignoring them.

Another important thing.
When it freezes the cursor changes to this plus sign with the carret (^).

I can’t close any window using the normal methods.
It happened again after rebooting.

Oh, it may be related to the save command. I use Ctrl+S a lot to save. Maybe every change. That happens every minute or less.

Now it is stuck, with the curson like this +^, the terminal does not show any bad thing (running with gdb). But the app is frozen, useless.

Kicad is using 100% of a cpu.

Maybe I found the issue.
I have a custom library and I put inside this library a symbolic link with its own name linking .

When I stopped gdb kicad, it told me this

Thread 1 "kicad" received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
wxMBConvUTF8::FromWChar (srcLen=<optimized out>, 
    psz=0x55556fc21ab8 L"ib/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/My_Library/Precisio_HW_Libra"..., n=0, buf=<optimized out>, this=0x5555559bd3d0) at ./src/common/strconv.cpp:1378
Downloading source file /build/wxwidgets3.2-jjKGnf/wxwidgets3.2-3.2.2+dfsg/./src/common/strconv.cpp

This shows an endless recursion happening…
I would like to use my symbolic link.
Is this something that can be improved in Kicad’s code? @craftyjon

1 Like

Yeah, removing this symlink, fixed my issue.
With the symlink hidden (with the . in front of the filename), it does not work either.

Now, my question is why Kicad is trying to walk around my symlink? The

Kicad has a well-defined place where to look for symbols/parts. This place is defined here sym-lib-table and fp-lib-table.

And those files have a single and well defined path inside.

Base_Board_HW on  post-fabrication-improvements [$!?] …
➜ cat fp-lib-table 
───────┬─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       │ File: fp-lib-table
───────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │ (fp_lib_table
   2   │   (lib (name MyLib)(type KiCad)(uri "${KIPRJMOD}/../My_Lib/My_Lib.pretty")(options "")(descr "My footprints"))
   3   │ )
───────┴─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Base_Board_HW on  post-fabrication-improvements [$!?] …
➜ cat sym-lib-table 
───────┬─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       │ File: sym-lib-table
───────┼─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │ (sym_lib_table
   2   │   (lib (name "MyLib")(type "KiCad")(uri "${KIPRJMOD}/../My_Lib/My_Lib.kicad_sym")(options "")(descr "My symbols"))
   3   │ )
───────┴─────

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.