7.0.0-nightly - Import graphics to footprint doesn't find files: *.svg, *.dxf

Next problem:
Default (swedish) or swedish language set for the UI (in the language list, default is on top and it gives swedish, there is also swedish further down in the list, which gives the same result).

In the footprint editor, create new footprint (type SMD or through hole makes no difference), go to menu “File” → “Import” → “Graphics”, in the popup window klick folder icon to browse for a graphics file.
Now, the file browser opens and I can navigate the folders in my home directory, but I cannot see the dxf or svg files in the directories.

If I close the file browser and graphic import popup, switch to english or german language for the UI, and reopen the graphich import file browser, then I can see the svg and dxf files and choose one.

Now, as long as the project manager window is not closed, I can switch back to swedish and still see the svg and dxf files, but if I close KiCad completely and restart it, as long as I am in swedish language, I will not be able to see the files.

This problem seems to exist in 6.0.10 too, at least the flatpak I have installed.

Further, it seems to behave the same in the board editor (pcbnew), when you have a board open and go to “File” → “Import” → “Graphics”.

Is someone able to reproduce this behaviour, or is there something unique to my install?

I also notice in the screenshot that there is some expression for the file types after the text for “all supported file types” on the lower right, which does not appear with english language.

It seems to somehow be specific to swedish language translation, and the phrase in Weblate that seems to possibly be related is #2456. The source string in english unusually ends with a | (vertical line character), which was missing in the swedish translation.
I have inserted this in the swedish translation, but it will take a while before it gets transferred into the active source code by @Seth_h (if I remember correctly).

Does someone know if the missing | can cause this behaviour, and why is it there?

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.0-rc1-1.20230115git0328cae.fc37, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 5.2.0
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.85.0 OpenSSL/3.0.5 zlib/1.2.12 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.1 (+libidn2/2.3.3) libssh/0.10.4/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.51.0

Platform: , 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, KDE, wayland

Build Info:
Date: Jan 15 2023 18:14:45
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.78.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.85.0
ngspice: 38
Compiler: GCC 12.2.1 with C++ ABI 1017

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I remember a similar bug. A non-translatable string was made translatable and then translated. I suggest filing an issue.

Issue #13570:

Update: This should be fixed now by Wayne Stambaugh with commits 822c913e and f81642bb.

Note to any translators reading here: Probably the old translated text will not be used any more, but a new text string to translate will appear, which should NOT have the bar character at the end, only the text. Please check for the new string as soon as Seth Hillbrand has updated the strings between Weblate and the source code.

The current nightly (26c6760) for fedora includes the fixes and import file dialog works in all three affected places (board editor, schematic editor and footprint editor) with english text. Translated texts will appear for all languages that have the translation approved by the respective translators, the next time the translations are pulled from Weblate to the source code.

1 Like