6.99: Strange footprint selection behaviour

Since a few nightlies (not sure since when), selection behaviour has changed. Or at least in my perception…

This footprint is selected when clicked within the footprint’s bounding box as it used to be.

kicad_AQZhUvdlH6

This footprint only selects when clicked near a very small area around the origin

Seems as if graphical elements do not contribute to the bounding box area for selection any more.

Confirmed? As (newly) designed? Bug?

Behavior is as first example with:
Application: KiCad PCB Editor

Version: 6.99.0-unknown-70aec5d576~149~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
FreeType 2.10.1
HarfBuzz 2.6.4
FontConfig 2.13.1
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-121-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, cinnamon, x11

Build Info:
Date: Jul 9 2022 06:47:18
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.68.0
ngspice: 37
Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Will download the current 6.99 now and check.

Thx. I’m pretty sure it is a bug and, given your confirmation, I’ll file it in the bug tracker.

I have snail speed download (ADSL2), a penalty for living way out of a city. It could take 1/2 hour in prime time Sunday evening. Don’t hold your breath for my result. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, as a hobbyist singer I can manage my breath, but then not that long :smile:.

Sheesh…

Everyone must be watching netflix etc.
Download is running at an incredibly slow 100 to 200 kB/s. even though I’m pedaling as fast as I can.

Looks like I’ll get a result for you, about this time, in a fortnight. :frowning_face:

So that’s how TCP pakets are transported in your area? Condolences…

Top sketch looks about right.

I download in the mornings: runs at about 500 kB/s. which is fair considering it is on copper and we are 10 Km from an exchange.
One of the penalties of living out of town.
We do have electricity sometimes. No town water or gas.

Really? Or are you kidding?

I’m in the suburbs of Vienna, but it is not paradise as well. In Vienna there are areas reserved for gardening and small houses (restricted in highth and footprint). I live in one of them. There is no fibre and there is no more free copper (which would be arial cables anyways). So it’s LTE, with 1.2 Mbitps minimum at peak hours. That’s a lot compared to your situation, but it is in a residential area, in town. I’m really waiting for 5G.
Across the street it is all big town, fibre and everything…

Will confirm the problem (bug). Now selection is only available from the near centre of the footprint.

Speed increased to nearly 400 kB/s towards the end… everyone must have switched off netflix to eat dinner.

1 Like

Ok, thanks! I’m off to the bug tracker.

1 Like

Fix committed by @JeffYoung 3 hours after bug reported… absolutely brilliant!!! :tada:

Only wish my download speed could be increased that quickly :frowning_face:

1 Like

I’m counting a bit over 6 hours between 11:37 to 18:04 (GMT+0200)

But those KiCad developers are indeed doing a great job. Big things of course take months or even years to implement, but those small things often get fixed very quickly. I’ve seen several that got fixed within an hour, and sometimes even less then half an hour (I forgot whether it was 23 minutes or 27 minutes).

And on a longer time frame, some 200+ issues get fixed every month, but even so, new issues are created at an even faster rate and a few weeks ago it grew to over 1500 open issues.

3 hours, 6 hours… doesn’t really matter.

I was just drawing attention to the speed and dedication these VOLUNTEER developers fix problems and create new features.
The programme is so lucky to have them. :+1: :+1: :+1:

He he… and I was even in a hotel room in England waiting to go to my daughter’s university graduation.

(She’s the left-most of the mortar-board throwers at the end.)

8 Likes

Congratulations for your parental achievement :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, congratulations to both of you. To her for her achievement and to you (and her mother) for setting up a conducive environment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.