[6.0-rc1] Missing ERC error for signals on hierarchical sheets

Hi,

in my design, I have some signals, which are connected to a hierarchical block. But then the ERC is not marking this signals, when they have no other connection in the design.

You can see, that signal ECU.EAL_SW_MON is only on one sheet (9) and nowhere else, but it isn’t marked (same issue with signals connected to a bus).

In the same design, on another place without the hierarchical sheet, the error is marked (couldn’t attach the image with the marker, because new user).

Is this intended?

Thanks in advance.

Application: KiCad-Schaltplan-Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.0-rc1-20-gfe2844fb9c), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.1.5
	libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Nov 16 2021 12:01:06
	wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
	Boost: 1.76.0
	OCC: 7.5.0
	Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
	ngspice: 35
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

It is easier to help if you could attach the project (or maybe a stripped-down-version).

Hi,

I can’t upload my design, but I created a minimal project where I could reproduce this behavior.

In the design, D[0…2] and A[0…3] aren’t connected to anything else. But I only get warnings for the A[0…2] signals.

k6rc1_erc_issue.zip (8.2 KB)

Good example-project. Now your intention is clear to see.

Regarding the opening question “is this intended, a bug or only a side-efefct of the current ERC-implementation”: sadly I can’t help.

A quick search on gitlab showed 2 open issues regarding ERC/label-tests, but both don’t focus on global labels. So I think it’s worth an issue at gitlab (kicad->help->report bug). The developers should know more about the internal ERC-behaviour.

It might be that we treat sheet pins different? ping @craftyjon

We do treat sheet pins differently. If you file an issue with the example project attached, we can add a new ERC check for this in the future.

Thank you all for the information. I opened an issue for this https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/9828

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.