[5.99] Y axis direction selection doesn't work in footprint editor (should it?)

Whether I have Y Axis increases UP or increases DOWN. Makes not difference. Y Axis down is always positive.

Application: KiCad Footprint Editor (64-bit)

Version: (5.99.0-10577-g57d4347f00), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.1.5
	libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19041), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: May 18 2021 00:30:55
	wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,STL containers)
	Boost: 1.75.0
	OCC: 7.5.0
	Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
	ngspice: 34
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

You’re showing the PCB Editor settings. The Footprint Editor is a separate entity that doesn’t have that option.

Why doesn’t it have it is a different question that I can’t answer.

I realize I was in the footprint editor (see title). The option is in the menu but doesn’t work.

It doesn’t appear to work in the PCB editor as well. Schematics don’t matter for me.

But you still don’t realize you were in the PCB Editor settings.

And it works fine for me in the PCB Editor. Maybe you did something weird with your drill/place origin.

Watch the tree in your screenshot:

1 Like

Duh… I guess I’ve been blinded by years of looking at different drop down menus.

There are two ways features get added to an open-source project. The first is that the project leads put together a well-considered plan, and then developers implement the plan. The second is that some random person finds something he considers lacking and implements it, and the project leads like it well enough to merge it into the product.

The thing that annoyed me most about KiCad was the negative Y axis orientation in the PCB editor, followed by the inability to set the (0,0) origin on the board. So I fixed them. I looked at doing the same for the schematic editor but it didn’t seem as urgent, since there is no need to place objects at specific locations.

I really didn’t think about the footprint editor until people started using the 5.99 pre-release and asked why it didn’t also support axis selection. By then the window for adding features to v6 had already passed. I have done enough of the work toward this feature to know what’s needed, and it will be my first contribution to the v7 development when that branch opens.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.