5.99 Remove unconnected Layers from Via

Hi,
I just checked out the latest nightly of v5.99 and was amazed to see progress towards real pad stacks and there is a new option for TH pads, that allows you to select on which layers pads shall be drawn.

So I was hoping that option would exist for vias too. But unfortunately I could not find it so far.
I had a look at the new pcb file format and found the parameter “remove_unused_layers” for pads.

I could successfully add that parameter to existing vias in the file. After reopening the pcb the rings on the inner layers of the edited top-bottom vias were gone.
Bingo - that’s what I wanted.

But - editing the pcb-file manually or via scripts is pretty tedious and error prone.
It would be nice if the existing pad-option would be added for vias too.
Any plans in that regard?

Cheers,
Matthias

Some logical improvement like this is of course already in the mins eye of the KiCad developers:

but even these amazing guys have a limited capacity in their head (and amount of time they can spend on KiCad).

This virus that’s going round may have helped a bit to keep them home and spend more hours on improving KiCad, but most of them probably still have something resembling a personal life, and I wish hem a lot of happiness with it.

Donations apparently help to speed up KiCads development even fruther: Button in upper right corner of: https://kicad.org/ and there is also https://www.kipro-pcb.com/ which is open to negotiations to speed up specific features in KiCad for a fee as long as they fit within the direction KiCad is moving.

Sounds like a bug/incompletely implemented feature. Maybe submit a bug report for the missing functionality in the via UI (since your experiment shows that the via data structure supports this).

I think you can do what you want by doing pcbnew Tools Menu -> Remove Unused Pads

You can choose through hole pads or vias there. There’s also an option to only act on the pads/vias you have selected.

1 Like

I tried this, and it works.

Before:

After:

4 Likes

Thanks guys, that’s what I was looking for. Does the job for me.
I wasn’t sure whether the missing feature can be called a bug or it just not implemented yet.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.