5.99 is killing 5.1.10

Downloaded the latest 5.99 about 36 hours ago and it caused “error launching the application” in 5.1.10.

Removed 5.99 an hour ago, re-installed then tested 5.1.10 and all was well with the new 5.1.10.

Re-installed 5.99 and it has again killed 5.1.10.

Any thoughts?

I’ve never had a problem before (at least 9 months) with the two running side by side.

Application: KiCad

Version: 5.99.0-unknown-a92516bcd2~140~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.4.0-88-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, cinnamon, x11

Build Info:
Date: Oct 10 2021 18:17:21
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.71.0
OCC: 7.5.2
Curl: 7.68.0
ngspice: 31
Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I’m having the same problem at the moment.
(But that does not necessarily mean the cause is also the same)

On my Linux Mint box KiCad V5.1.x uses OCC 7.3, while KiCad-nightly V5.99 wants to uninstall that (and KiCad V5.1.x with it) to install OCC7.5

paul@medion:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ sudo apt install kicad-nightly
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  kicad-demos kicad-doc-en kicad-footprints kicad-libraries kicad-packages3d kicad-symbols kicad-templates
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  kicad-nightly-demos libocct-data-exchange-7.5 libocct-foundation-7.5 libocct-modeling-algorithms-7.5
  libocct-modeling-data-7.5 libocct-ocaf-7.5 libocct-visualization-7.5
Suggested packages:
  extra-xdg-menus
Recommended packages:
  kicad-nightly-doc-en
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kicad libocct-data-exchange-7.3 libocct-foundation-7.3 libocct-modeling-algorithms-7.3 libocct-modeling-data-7.3
  libocct-ocaf-7.3 libocct-visualization-7.3
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kicad-nightly kicad-nightly-demos libocct-data-exchange-7.5 libocct-foundation-7.5 libocct-modeling-algorithms-7.5
  libocct-modeling-data-7.5 libocct-ocaf-7.5 libocct-visualization-7.5
0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/68.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 133 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

On top of that (Answering “y” to the last question above) I’m having a library setup problem. KiCad-nightly V5.99 does not want to create the default library tables. That option is greyed out.

Having no way to simply restore the default library tables is a long overdue issue:

No libraries here also.

At the moment you cannot install 5.1 and 5.99 side-by-side using the PPAs because of a library compatibility issue. This should get resolved when 5.1.11 is released.

@paulvdh try installing the package kicad-library-all first.

There is no button for it yet, but if you want to restore the library config, just delete the files ~/.config/kicad/5.99/fp-lib-table and/or ~/.config/kicad/5.99/sym-lib-table. Make sure to back them up first if you care about the old configuration.

I gave up poking around looking for libraries and gave this: ```
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-footprints kicad-nightly-libraries kicad-nightly-packages3d kicad-nightly-symbols kicad-nightly-templates

yet another go. It worked this time.
Installed copies of personal libraries normally.
Waved 5.1.10 a fond farewell… R.I.P.

Jean-Samuel has a nightly build of 5.1.10+nightly that is built against opencascade 7.5 that you can install alongside the main branch nightly build

2 Likes

I am aware of the sym-lib-table and fp-lib-table files. but deleting them does not work for me. I already did that twice yesterday before posting here.

I even deleted the whole “~/.local/share/kicad” and “~/.config/kicad” directories. From what I remember, this used to work for KiCad V5.1.x, but it did not work now for KiCad-nightly V5.99.

Last thing I tried was complete removal and re-install, and that got it working again. The most relevant lines from the history:

1121  sudo apt remove kicad-nightly --purge
 1122  rm -r .config/kicad
 1124  rm -r .local/share/kicad
 1130  sudo apt remove kicad-nightly-footprints kicad-nightly-libraries kicad-nightly-packages3d kicad-nightly-symbols kicad-nightly-templates
 1132  sudo apt remove kicad-nightly-demos
 1134  sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-dev-nightly
 1135  sudo apt install kicad-nightly
 1136  history >kicad_history_2021-10-11.txt

After that I had a working KiCad-nightly V5.99 again, with symbol and footprint libraries. Only the 3D models were not visible in the 3D viewer.
KiCad / Preferences / Configure Paths pointed to “Aaa” and I changed this to “Bbb”:

Aaa: KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR /usr/share/kicad-nightly/3dmodels/
Bbb: KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR /usr/lib/kicad-nightly/share/kicad/3dmodels/

This only got a few of the 3D models working, so I looked at the properties of a 3D model that did not work, and noticed it wanted a “${KISYS3DMOD}”. (Project imported from KiCad V5, and even older, I may have started this project in KiCad V4 or even KiCad V3). Creating the KISYS3DMOD var an pointing it to the same place as KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR made the rest of the 3D models appear in the 3D viewer.

Thanks for the info, but I’m in over my head here.
I’ve managed to disable the normal repository for kicad 5.1 stable and add the js-reynaud-kicad-5-nightly-focal, but still can’t install. It’s trying to overwrite some icon also used by KiCad-nightly V5.99, and then

dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

If it was just for myself I’d manage with just KiCad-nightly V5.99, but for answering forum question I used to lookup details in either V5.1.x or V5.99, post screenshots, etc.

Full log:

paul@medion:~$ sudo apt install kicad
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  kicad-demos kicad-doc-en
Suggested packages:
  extra-xdg-menus kicad-locale-ko | kicad-locale-ru | kicad-locale-pl | kicad-locale-pt | kicad-locale-ja | kicad-locale-id | kicad-locale-ca
  | kicad-locale-it | kicad-locale-el | kicad-locale-zh | kicad-locale-de | kicad-locale-sl | kicad-locale-cs | kicad-locale-bg | kicad-locale-sv
  | kicad-locale-lt | kicad-locale-fi | kicad-locale-fr | kicad-locale-hu | kicad-locale-nl | kicad-locale-es | kicad-locale-sk
Recommended packages:
  kicad-libraries
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kicad-common kicad-libraries
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kicad kicad-demos kicad-doc-en
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/48.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 138 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 493889 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kicad-common (5.1.5+dfsg1-2build2) ...
Removing kicad-libraries (5.1.5+dfsg1-2build2) ...
(Reading database ... 493883 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kicad_5.1.10+nightly-202110071751+9b6798c479~92~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking kicad (5.1.10+nightly-202110071751+9b6798c479~92~ubuntu20.04.1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/kicad_5.1.10+nightly-202110071751+9b6798c479~92~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/mimetypes/application-x-kicad-pcb.png', which is also in package kicad-nightly 202110101817+a92516bcd2~
140~ubuntu20.04.1
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Selecting previously unselected package kicad-demos.
Preparing to unpack .../kicad-demos_5.1.10+nightly-202110071751+9b6798c479~92~ubuntu20.04.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking kicad-demos (5.1.10+nightly-202110071751+9b6798c479~92~ubuntu20.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package kicad-doc-en.
Preparing to unpack .../kicad-doc-en_5.1.5+dfsg1-2build2_all.deb ...
Unpacking kicad-doc-en (5.1.5+dfsg1-2build2) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kicad_5.1.10+nightly-202110071751+9b6798c479~92~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Up to about a week ago I had both KiCad V5.1.x and V5.99 running on my Linux Mint box. I did have an issue with broken packages, and therefore troubles with updates (Apt update/upgrade gave errors), but the GUI of “Mint Update Mangager” still worked). Then I started messing with my configuration, and I now have no broken pakages, but also no KiCad V5.1.x.

You can use --force-overwrite to get them both to install alongside each other. Tomorrow’s nightly should resolve this temporarily with a more permanent fix coming later

–force-overwrite is a low level switch for dpkg and I do not have much appetite for messing with that.

Luckily it also is not necessary anymore, as I could now do

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:js-reynaud/kicad-5-nightly
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad

and now I have a working KiCad V5 again.

Edit:
2021-10-17 updated install instructions with text from the js-reynaud website posted to by Seth_h. In reality it was a little more complicated. I manually disabled the default kicad version.

paul@medion:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat js-reynaud-kicad-5-nightly-focal.list 
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/js-reynaud/kicad-5-nightly/ubuntu focal main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/js-reynaud/kicad-5-nightly/ubuntu focal main

paul@medion:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat kicad-kicad-5_1-releases-focal.list 
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-5.1-releases/ubuntu focal main
1 Like

Before I start downloading anything, does anyone know if 5.1.10 and 5.99 are talking to each other again?

I have now both the regular KiCad-nightly V5.99 installed from the way explained on the KiCad website, and kicad-5-nightly from the js-reynaud repository from the link posted by Seth_h working on my linux box.

Also, I don’t hear them talking much to each other. They are pretty much separate programs. But these versions do not bite each other.

Is a download a problem for you?
For me a download and install takes about 2 minutes. It’s getting the right infomation that takes time.

I will give it a try.
No download problem, just couldn’t see the point if they were still biting :slightly_smiling_face: each other.

I will try deciphering the method of installation.

I edited my post from 5 days ago with a bit more info of how I installed it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.