5.99 Crashed again

I am laying down a track with pcbnew. And I have had some question as to the proper way to finish a track. However, this has not been a big problem. In this case I think I hit the END and/or ESCAPE key in some sequence in trying to finish the track. That is when the software gives me a WAIT cursor which I believe will not resolve regardless of how long I wait. I shut down KiCad with the Windows Task Manager. Task manager shuts down KiCad very quickly and easily.

I have had 5.99 versions crash like this a few times over maybe a week of light use, and (tomorrow) I want to try to reproduce this malfunction so that can put that information into a bug report.

1. I begin a track with the X hotkey.
  2. I am not using net classes but I think I have a default 40 mil track width.
  3. Based upon my pad size, I use the mouse context menu to set the track width to custom-25 mils after starting the track.

I will try to repeat this issue Tuesday morning…if anyone can submit any ideas, well…it might help.

Application: KiCad
Version: (5.99.0-1096-g437f888c2), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
    Build date: Mar 10 2020 22:01:11
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.66.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

keep compiling, or loading nightlies. we are already at 1119 :sunglasses:

Thanks, Jos

In this instance, I had saved the pcb file immediately before starting to route the track which brought about the crash. Also, the sequence of events seemed similar. (Perhaps I tend to repeat some minor errors.) So I was hopeful that I might be able to reproduce the crash. But this morning KiCad routed the track without crashing.

So I will install the latest nightly and continue my design…

1 Like

Just have to hang in there. There is currently a lot of development going on in 5.99. As of today we are at 1122. Apart from this the rounting seems fine as before.

same here with latest windows nightly 15213 and 15225:
Schematic is fine, go to pcbnew , want to define trace widths and select “Bearbeiten vordefinierter Größen” (edit predefined values?), seconds later I’m back on the desktop (all Kicad progs. terminated)
Went back to 15200: no more crash, I can set my trace and via values

Please use the same version number system. “1122” alone is almost OK because it’s the number of the commits after the latest release tag and can be seen in the About dialog, but “15225” is Windows package specific number which isn’t visible in KiCad itself.

it’s now already 1124 :sunglasses:

Quantas never crashed.

Edit: Resistance was futile after reading the title for the umpteeth time.
It’s a quote from “Rain man”, a movie from 1988.

OK…I assume you refer to the Australian airline (and in a moment of levity.) What in this conversation could be taken to infer the airline? BTW I myself am kidding sometimes so I do not mean this critically. I am better at telling jokes than at getting them. :frowning:

I assume that the 4 digit version is the number after “5.99.0-” ?? I am now at “1109”. This particular version has not crashed for me yet, but the crashes are not frequent enough for me to take much meaning from that fact. I have not yet associated cause and effect, except that it is something related to routing tracks.

You should update continuously to the absolutely latest nightly build. The interactive router is one area which has been under work recently and it may have been changed already, within a day or two.

But really, please everyone, use the whole version string - for example 5.99.0-1098-gfbd01f2f7 identifies a version exactly for all purposes. 1098 is the number of the commits since the latest release and tells the order of the builds (larger is later). fbd01f2f7 identifies the exact commit (g is for “git”) and can be found in the git log. It is also in the Windows nightly build installer package file name.

EDIT: I cant’ tell from “1109” how old it is or which commit it is or which Windows installer package it is. From the installer package number “15225” I can’t tell what version it is without going to the download directory of the nightly builds, and when it’s deleted from there, the information is lost forever. From the git commit I can’t tell directly if it’s newer or older than some other version. With the complete version string I can find all these things easily.

For any beginners reading this thread, 5.99 is not for you.
It is experimental and sometimes breaks badly. It is possible that a file structure change might have to be reversed out, leaving you with orphaned work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.