5.99 Courtyard is not moving with the pad when using Pad Properties

I’m using 5.99 on win10/6 see details below4

I’m trying to precisely locate the mounting holes. It seems when I select the mounting hold an use “M” I can move it and the courtyard goes with it.

However when I use “E” and try to place it using the coordinates I find the courtyard does not move with the pad. Am I doing something wrong?
Thx
John

Application: Pcbnew

Version: (5.99.0-3436-g89dcc46898), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0

Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Sep 20 2020 09:05:52
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
ngspice: 32
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

You need to be careful what you select. If you select just the pad then E brings up pad properties and changes there will move only the pad. You should select the whole footprint and then hit E.

3 Likes

Thanks, but what concerned me was to my knowledge I was selecting it the same when using “M” to move (successful) as when using “E” to move (not successful)

KiCad is smart enough to select the whole footprint for you when you have a pad selected and hit M because M is meant to move footprints, not pads. This is easily visible on a multi pad footprint.
To move pads you have to edit the footprint in the fp editor or edit pad properties directly.

1 Like

Thanks,

But this is a mounting hole. So technically the pad is the whole footprint. Still I don’t see how the “Pad Properties” would be able to move the hole and not move the courtyard. Take a look at my screenshot, the top mounting hole with the yellow arrow.

It still seems to me that the software is missing something.

No, a footprint is all the pads + all the drawings. Courtyard is one of the drawings.

When you move the pad it just shifts it’s position relative to the footprint position while every other part of the footprint stays in place. When you move the footprint you move everything together.

3 Likes

I see what you are saying. I did a test on a multipad device and now understand. Thanks for the patience.

John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.