5.99 Convert to polygon, extra material

UPDATE: problem has been fixed and steps for filling polygon have changed:

Hey folks,
Ive been very impatient for latest kicad release to have proper polygon support from dxf importer (instead of footprint editor workarround).
For Design I’m doing I need very precise distances and shapes, I am making design in openSCAD, then importing design in 5.99, then converting it to zone. Problem is, I get extra material added on all corners, as If someone drew a line around it. Any ideas how to fix this issue? Maybe I missed a setting that sets offset?

White line is the original shape.
Would be greatfull for any info.

EDIT: It seems like I can edit zones individually, but i’m still puzzled where the default line width value is stored:

Give it a try here:

I went full retard and change every possible width setting, still no luck. Maybe the default value isn’t exposed anywhere code wise?

This is the dialog from: KiCad-nightly V5.99 / File / Import / Graphics…

It has an entry box for a “Default line width” for graphics.

It looks like the lines are added to the imported polygon.
If this is so, then maybe it should be considered a bug, or at least an option to set whether lines are “added” as outlines of polygons.

Default line width only impacts white line width but not the ‘‘zone outline width’’ that you can find under “polygon properties”. Ether this is a bug, or just something someone forgot to add.

Alternatively:

You can measure the linewidth and add half of it to your CAD drawing before importing. That will leave only the rounded outside corners.

If you have the latest nighty you could check in GitLab if there is a bug already reported, otherwise it would be nice if you opened a new one.

If you are on an old nightly, try updating.

EDIT: Which version are you using?

This one, however it may not the be latest latest. Ill test it on latest, if it won’t works Ill make bug report then.

Yep I considered that, or manually changing value of each segment. If there wouldn’t be so many test setups that I have to test in one batch I wouldn’t mind. Shame kicad doesn’t have ‘‘apply action to all selection’’ function

To not make thread spam, quick heads up on latest nightly builds 5.99.0.-9910 and up the problem has been fixed, however steps to produce polygon have changed:
To fill polygon do following:
1.Import you .dxf file, if there are multiple items, unclick ‘‘Group Items’’.

2.Select everything and click ‘‘convert to polygon’’

3.What you will have now a polygon and multiple lines version of the same polygon. Select polygon and click hit ‘‘e’’:
You should end up with this dialog:
Add checkmark to ‘‘filled shape’’, change linde width to 0.001 and youre done, a perfect accurate shape for both capacitive and inductive pads that you have imported from inkscape or any other tool.

Huge thanks to folks at Kicad team, I was hitting deadlines, took me a while to figure this newer version out and I got there in the end, this is exactly what was needed. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.