5.1.5 coming soon

Still using 440 without any known issues.

2 Likes

I’m using 448 now to keep testing and no problems found

1 Like

5.1.5 final has been tagged in git repository. Packages should be available soon.

3 Likes

js-reynaud PPA has had 5.1.5 for a week now, is there any particular reason why the other OS builds lag behind?

There are two windows builds on the KiCad server, two versions of ngspice

1 Like

Why there is no linux flatpak version?

Flatpack is not one of the officially supported options (There are 4 official linux options: Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Arch). It is provided by some volunteer outside the core team so it is to be expected that it can sometimes take some time till it is released. (Or you know the volunteer that provided it moved on in live)

Packaging is done by volunteers, not by the development team. As far as I have understood, packages for the officially supported platforms are waited for before releases are announced. Not others. So, nobody has done it.

Unfortunately it’s a problem that we list them on the website which just sets false expectations for users :confused: I removed one distro from the website recently because they haven’t updated from the 5.0.x series for over a year.

1 Like

Isn’t that more logically to only focus on flatpak and left every other linux version. since it supports every linux!?

Flatpack is a nice addition that can increase the number of systems that can use kicad but really should not replace full integration in the distributions official repos. (As an example: a fedora user can out of the box use their normal package manager to install kicad. They can even just install the electrical engineering package and have kicad as part of it. For flatpack the same user would need to already know about both kicad and flatpack.)

I personally prefer every application in snap or flatpak instead of Ubuntu distribution, since it just download dozens of small modules(packages) and it’s messy, it applies pressure on my mind! (I have seen you in many post, our community should and I think is proud of someones like you, thanks in advance)

The many small packages are just hidden in flatpack. They are still included. (I have too little experience with such systems to be of more use here.)

It’s also a sad fact that flatpak packages aren’t often as well integrated to the rest of the system. And you need to be aware of file system access restrictions etc.

Yes but they are independent and isolated, like complete separate app. which minimize vulnerability. I have little info too!

There are pros and cons. But they won’t be replacing native packages. Everyone can choose. And of course they may be even the only alternative for systems which don’t have native packages, so it’s good they exist.

What are native packages?

For debian based systems (example ubuntu) the .dep packages, for redhat based systems (example fedora) the .rpm packages. These packages are distributed on a number of servers managed with repository lists. The details differ per packaging system. (I would say the packaging system is the core difference between different linux distros so i selected my distro based on which such system i like most.)

Or put differently: Native packages are the ones that you use if you open the “install software” gui (or on the command line apt or dnf or …)

4 posts were split to a new topic: Trouble reporting bugs on gitlab

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.