44 pin PCB edge connector

I’m working on a project that will use a 44 pin edge connector. There are 22 rectangular pads on each side of the PCB. I’m looking for an edge connector like this. I have founf ISA, PCI and single examples. Is there an already made edge connector like this or do I have to make one? Thanks, Mike

In the CONN library, I found Conn_01x22_Male. I’m going to try that one. I’m wondering about the footprint, but we will see, Thanks, Mike

For the schematic symbol, there are connectors numbered in different orders, there is clockwise and counter-clockwise and odd-even, so use what makes the most sense to you. It is of course also possible to take a standard schematic symbol and then adapt it to your specific schematic.

For the PCB there is a “Connector_PCBEdge” library, and it has some edge connectors, among which are the good old Bus_AT, and PCI connectors, and some others. I sort of like the numbering with “A” on the top side and “B” on the bottom side as used in the PCIexpress connectors.

I found the Connector_PCBEdge library and downloaded it and unzipped it. BUT currently I’m having trouble installing the library. Right now I’m looking for and reading what I can regarding how to do this. THanks, Mike

That library is amongst the official KiCad v6 libraries, installed by default if you have other libraries installed. There’s no need to download it separately.

OK, but I’nm not using KICAD 6. I looked into upgrading, but it is not supported in Win7. Can this library be installed in KICAD5? Thanks, Mike

It’s created for v6, so there’s no easy way to use it in v5. You can open the file in a text editor, though, and try to edit offending parts if you try to open it in v5 and it complains. But it’s probable that it’s not worth it.

I’m guessing that KiCad V5 already had a similar library. some libraries got renamed. You can try to find an “AT” connector, or search for “edge” or “PCIExpress” through your installed footprint libraries.

But apart from that, there is not much interesting in them. An edge connector is mostly some rectangular pads combined with some lines (or hints) on the Edge.Cuts layer.

Well… I’ve been working and developed a nice 22 pin connector for the front side of my PCB. I have a question. Should I make a seperate 22 pin connector for the back or should the front and back be on the same footprint. I suspect they should be on the same footprint, because they will align better. Am I correct or is there a better way? Thanks, Mike

Both is possible, but I would probably put both sides on the same footprint by default unless you’ve got a reason to not do that.

Thanks, since I have them seperate now, I’ll try working with them seperate at first. If trouble lays in Maybe I’ll change it, Mike

There are Single-Sided and Two-Sided Edge Connectors. You decide which one you want. The only difference is Pad on one or both sides.

Some connectors in the Kicad lib have one side, some two side.

Some have Edge-Cut lines, some don’t.

Example below is stock (from v6): Samtec_MECF-40-0_-NP-L-DV_2x40_P1.27mm_Edge

It has Pads on Both sides and Edge-Cuts so, User simply connects edge-cut lines to the ends of the connector’s edge-cut line.

You can make a Footprint with the edge-cuts or simple place Pads on PCB and draw edge-cuts as needed. You get to decide.

Below is the Samtec connector mentioned above…

As dropped onto PCB before hooking up edge-cuts

Results:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.