3D: ...wrl does not show in FP

Hi,
several time I converted .stp (given by manufacturer) to .wrl, using FreeCad.
I add .wrl to the FP, scale it to 1/2.54, works fine.
Today it doesn’t. My FP is a PCB itsself, it fits into a phoenix housing BC-107.
Here’s the .wrl:
Unnamed-pxc_2896076_04_BC-107-6-OT-U11-KMGY_3D.wrl (874.0 KB)
Any idea why it doesn’t work?
The bottom part of the housing worked fine, so I assume I’ve got the skills to work with 3D models in general.

I found a rather simple solution:
The .stp file, provided by phoenix, works. The 3D-model is quite complex, maybe Freecad or KiCad couldn’t cope with .wrl or the conversion.
Before I didn’t recognize .stp works at all. I assumed Freecad was neccesary to convert .stp to .wrl, cause KiCad would accept .wrl only?!
So my question today: When and why should I use .wrl or .stp? Why do some folks convert .stp to .wrl?

It’s in the FAQ. FreeCAD StepUp can convert a model to STEP and wrl which are compatible with KiCad.

.wrl files are best for rendering as they support colours but they are just surface shells.
.stp files are dimensionally accurate models best suited for engineering.

Kicad keeps both formats for each model both named identically apart from the extension. It uses the .wrl for rendering but uses the .stp for export.

This is what the file looks like in the preview.

Moin Lutz,
Yes, I can see in Freecad what your app showes.
The file does not work in the FP editor for me.
I blame it on my old and low performance PC, running Win 10.
Again: stp works, and more simple wrl work for me.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.