3D viewer doesn't show board model and solder mask

Hi!
I have an issue with the 3D-viewer of KiCad. I have a project with four Layers and always it worked fine for me. But now, I can’t say what happened, it doesn’t work correctly. When I want to open the 3D-view of my board,it only shows the copper and vias, with all components and the silk screen layers, too. But there is neither shown the board model nor the solder mask. The effect of the option to enable or disable the board model is, that the inner two layers disappear, when I activate the option to show the board model. Interesting, that it works fine in all other projects. Even with four layers. I don’t know what has changed.

Kicad version and OS?

I assume you checked all items in Preferences > Display options?
You are able to deselect silkscreen, solder mask, solder paste and adhesive layers separately, maybe this is relevant?

Hi!
I found the problem. I always used a footprint as a board shape, because for one kind of housing I develop various kinds of PCBs. Until now that worked fine for me, i just drew the outline on the silk screen, added mounting holes and after saving I edited the layers manually with an editor and changed silk screen layer to edge cut layer. I don’t know what has changed that it doesn’t work anymore within this project. Other projects work fine. I try to find out and let you know. But I really don’t know, why it is not possible anymore since one or two versions ago to draw figures within the edge cut layer. Within Altium Designer I have a function named “Cut out”. That means, if I add a cut-out just like a polygon, there will be a defined hole in the board. Sadly that’s not possible in KiCad or I didn’t find it yet.
PS: Actually I use Version 5.0.1. for Linux

I found the Error. It was my own mistake. I don’t know why, but it seems I duplicated the footprint with the board shape, so it exists twice at the same position. The 3D viewer, I think so, subtracts the second edge cut from the first one, just like a cut out or a hole, so there is nothing to see.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.