3D view of pin headers is skewed

I noticed that in the 3D view, the header pins for both the dual in-line, and single in-line header pins are rotated and translated so that the pins don’t align with the drilled holes in the PCB. See the screenshot below. Not a big deal, but I’m just wondering if there is an easy fix for that.

You can edit the position but the first question is what version of Kicad are you using and are your libraries up to date?

The correct way to fix this is to update your models (and possibly your footprints) there are quite a few threads about how to do so

Oops, yes, I should have mentioned versions in my original post. I’m on v4.0.7 that I downloaded just the other week. If there is a separate way to check on the version number of the footprint libraries, I’m not sure how to do that.

Sorry, I should have also mentioned that those are the “default” footprints (i.e. “Pin_Headers:Pin_Header_Straight_2x07_Pitch2.54mm”, etc.). And that this project was started on another computer, with an older version of KiCAD (v4.0.6), but that machine went bad, and I’m now running on a new machine with 4.0.7. So I suppose if there is footprint caching, something like that could be an issue.

Yes that probably it :slight_smile: if you press E on the component you can change it from there :slight_smile:

Ah, thanks. I now see the tab to change the 3D rotation parameters.

I think that if you were to use the wizard and download a recent version of the Pin Headers 3D library that you would not have to change the rotation parameters.

main problem here is probably the footprint having the outdated parameters.
the new are 111 scale and rest is 0

1 Like

I suffered this issue and could not find a fix. I updated the footprint and 3D libraries from github (using application wizard) and I updated to latest version of KiCAD (Version: (5.1.0)-1, release build) but had the same issue with pin headers being rotated 90 degrees in the y-axis and offset.

I noticed that the github path within the application pointed to a different location than the hyperlink in the wizard and indeed there are two repositories. I found this announcement about changes to library hosting but I could not figure out all the configurations I had to change to make it all work. (Well - I did for one connector but it was an arduous manual task which wouldn’t scale to the whole set of libraries) so I ended up removing my KiCAD profile (on Windows that is: C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\kicad) to force KiCAD to recreate all the library references from defaults. I may need to reconfigure the application for any customisation I had previously applied but at least it is now working as expected.

It is a pain when upgrades don’t reconfigure applications properly but it is a tricky thing to do when the developer doesn’t necessarily know how a user might have customised their application. A “reset to default” button for each config element might help.

You could have saved you a lot of pain by reading I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

I totally agree

1 Like

Thanks - I will read that. The pain is far from over - all the libraries have changed (names, footprints, etc.) so none of the components align. I have a “fun” week ahead redoing all the schematic and all the PCB - grrrr!

Well there are two options. Either setup kicad to only have new libraries and transfer over your old projects or install the old libs somewhere separately and point old projects to the old libraries.

1 Like