3D Text in Renders

Is it possible to overlay some text onto the 3D model, that you have control over similar to placement of standard component models where you can scale the text, rotate them, move them around, and then finally show up in your 3D render?

Was thinking a new layer named “3D Text” or even re-use a layer like “User Comments” with a Tab in the Properties of Text that gives you the same controls over the 3D Models like with components.

This would allow you to make some very slick instructional diagrams and even place text on top of chips for labeling purposes.

If it doesn’t exist, what does everyone think of making this a Feature Request? How would you implement the idea, if you don’t think the above is workable?

1 Like

I don’t see it to be implemented.

You may be able to use technical layers and see it on the 3D render. (realist render disabled?)

You at this stage and from what you described, it is best you use some external tools (eg: FreeCAD, StepUp, something else) to create text->models to you.

If you are using just KiCad 3D rendering, you may want to generate WRLs (eg: using StepUp), this way you will be able to scale easily the model on kicad and add it to 3D shapes of the footprint.

Human Developer Resources are scarce for the KiCad project. They are doing an amazing job, and fixing and closing several hundred of issues each month on gitlab, but new issues get created just as fast. Some issues need a lot of work to implement, and those can take years. Just recently I have been looking at some issues that have been opened in 2017 and 2018.

With 3D stuff, it’s very similar as with mechanical CAD. Both those topics are very extensive and specialized software is already available. Duplicating that in KiCad would be a huge resource hog. The “KiCad Stepup” workbench for FreeCAD is a quite powerful tool and it is mostly designed for “serious work”. If you want “fancy things” such as beautiful renders and animations then you can use Blender. There are a bunch of examples and even tutorials around for using KiCad in combination with FreeCAD or Blender.

I feel the developers are gods. They do a beyond amazing job and deserve all the praise we can muster.

2 Likes

It’s fairly easy to accomplish:

• Did this in FreeCAD and exported STEP (but, WRL is also an option and can use other CAD software…)
• Used the Draft and Part Workbenches
• Created a Footprint afterwards
NOTE: Can make a Dummy Footprint, thus enabling changing the text’s files on the Fly by ‘Edit Footprint’ (not Edit Library Footprint). Therefore, each placed footprint will retain the specific text’s model’s.

Oh, I changed the color of the text after making the video…

I placed the footprint in PCB and set the ‘Z’ values as needed

2 Likes

Thanks for the video. Saved it and will try reproducing.

When you say you “Created a dummy footprint”… You can’t edit the text itself in that can you? You have to make another word in FreeCAD and then attach it to the footprint? (Sorry, not a kiCAD expert and am woeful on FreeCAD)

I agree and understand… But does that mean the feature set of KiCAD is done? We can’t try to make it better any more?

KiCAD has been an absolute godsend to me and no doubt thousands of old-timers that like to tinker with their retro parts and mark PCBs. And the 3D rendering on it is nothing short of dead set amazing, as again, there is NO WAY I could ever even attempt such a thing, for working ANY 3D software is simply beyond my aged and smooth brain. And although I am no coder myself, and I bow at the feet of those who can and have given freely to the FOSS to make such a wonder as this… I can also see that they are already working with 3D text with the silkscreens on the boards, and in multiple fonts no less. And they already have all the mechanisms of dealing with and manipulating 3D models.

So… I know it’s easy for me to say this… But it’s amazing what will spark a person into action. Sometimes it’s just an idea verbalised and the vision to see the benefits.

So rather than closing the door to the face of any new ideas, and pointing to people to tools which are cumbersome, unfriendly or expensive… Why not mull the idea over, refine it, add to it, and encourage the betterment of KiCAD… Without fostering good ideas, we would still be at KiCAD v1.

Correct but, can use other software that can produce STEP or WRL files. Either one will work.

If feature requests were horses then horses would be led to water. Er um, I think I’ve conflated two sayings. I’ll get back to you on this. :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.