3D models under OSX

Has anybody got 3D models to show in KiCAD 5 under OSX?

I have tried several things, but lastly a clean install of KiCAD 5.0.0-1 Unified. After the install, I can see the 3D model, eg.

$  cd /Library/Application\ Support/kicad/modules/packages3d/LED_THT.3dshapes/

Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/packages3d/LED_THT.3dshapes

$  ls -l LED_D5.0mm.*

-rw-r--r--@ 1 jps  admin    23K Jul 23 16:51 LED_D5.0mm.step

-rw-r--r--@ 1 jps  admin    43K Jul 23 16:51 LED_D5.0mm.wrl

But when I try to view the model in 3D Viewer in Assign Footprints or in Pcbnew, I only see the silkscreen on the PCB. In 3D Viewer all the 3D Model Visibility options are checked off.

If I check Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries, I can see that KISYS3DMOD is set to /Library/Application Support/kicad/modules/packages3d, which I guess it should be.

What am I missing?

Try: Edit a footprint, edit 3D shapes, can you see in the dialog the option to choose file formats extention of WRL and STEP ? If you can’t choose that file extensions then something is wrong with the installation, probably an issue from where you get the installation package. i.e: the 3D plugins are not placed or pointed to the correct path.

1 Like

Also check that your footprint libs are in sync with the 3d model lib. Especially if you had version 4 installed in the past you might have some issues here: I had KiCad 4 installed previosly. Now i updated to v5. Now i have some problems with the library setup

1 Like

Yes! Thank you. After I deleted all symbol libraries in Eeschema and added symbol libraries from /Library/Application\ Support/kicad/library/, and deleted all footprint libraries in Pcbnew and added footprint libraries from /Library/Application\ Support/kicad/modules/, the 3D models show up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.