3D models showing problem in Ubuntu Linux

Hi All!
I use Ubuntu Linux.
The 3D models not showing for me.
Kicad version: 8.0.5
Thanks.

Did you install the 3D models Ubuntu package? Not sure if this can be skipped nowadays as the installation instructions don’t mention it any more.

Which Ubuntu version as well? 24.04, 22.04 etc

I downloaded the 3D package from here:
https://gitlab.com/kicad/libraries/kicad-packages3D/-/archive/master/kicad-packages3D-master.zip

And I gave the path.

I use Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS

Where did you install them to and does that path match what’s under Preferences / Configure Paths

Can you show a screenshot of the footprint properties / 3D models?

Looks like issues with 3D packages path configuration in KiCAD.

How did you install KiCAD in Ubuntu? deb package? if so which repo?
There should be also a package called kicad-packages3d available.
Install it as well. That should copy them in the default location.

In the PCB Editor, open the properties of one of the common footprints (such as a DIP package), then go to the 3D Models tab, and then verify the path to the 3D model.

The ${KISYS3DMOD} variable can be looked up in Preferences / Manage Footprint Libraries

But the name is not there. Bit of a weird thing. I guess KiCad uses some internal (hardcoded?) locations too, as In my first screenshot the 3D model is visible.

Footprint Properties / Configure Paths also does not help much. Yet some different variables, but the ${KISYS3DMOD}

Now I’m also a bit confused.

But when using Ubuntu (I have Mint) you probably find them in /usr/share/kicad/3dmodels/

3D models not is default path.

I see a reference to snap in your second last screenshot. Snap is some kind of container format, and it prohibits access to things outside it’s container.
But one of the first things you should still do is to verify (with a file browser, command line) that the 3D files are actually installed.

I’ve not used the app center to install Kicad before but it should have automatically installed all the models. You should not have to manually install them.

Check under /usr/share/kicad there should be 3dmodels along with footprints and symbols.

You can also check if the models are installed by running

dpkg -l | grep kicad

You should see something similar to:

ii  kicad                                         8.0.5-testing-180+202410011945~801492b708~ubuntu24.04.1 amd64        Electronic schematic and PCB design software
ii  kicad-demos                                   8.0.5-testing-180+202410011945~801492b708~ubuntu24.04.1 all          Kicad demo projects
ii  kicad-doc-en                                  8.0.5~ubuntu24.04.1                                     all          Kicad help files (English)
ii  kicad-footprints                              8.0.5~ubuntu24.04.1                                     all          Kicad footprints (modules)
ii  kicad-libraries                               8.0.5~ubuntu24.04.1                                     all          KiCad meta-package for deps to all libraries
ii  kicad-packages3d                              8.0.5~ubuntu24.04.1                                     all          Kicad packages3d (3d models for footprints)
ii  kicad-symbols                                 8.0.5~ubuntu24.04.1                                     all          Kicad symbols (schematic)
ii  kicad-templates                               8.0.5~ubuntu24.04.1                                     all          Kicad templates

(Ignore the testing - I’m running the test builds)

Otherwise try installing Kicad by pointing to the PPA repo:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kicad/kicad-8.0-releases
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad

Thank You information