3D Models show in Footprint properties, not in 3D viewer

First off, here’s my setup:

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.10)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014
Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I have an issue where only some 3D models do not show up in the 3D viewer, but I can clearly see the 3D model when I go into footprint properties -> 3D settings. Some of the problem footprints are mine, some are default Kicad footprints, so it’s not to do with the way I made my footprints (I don’t think).

Anyone know why only some parts would work and not others?

Edit: here’s screencaps of an example, the 2x5 IDC header, a standard kicad lib footprint. Viewable in the footprint properties, but not showing up in the 3D viewer, though other models are. I’d post the proof that it shows in properties but I can’t post 2 photos.

1 Like

3D Viewer -> Preferences -> Display Options -> Show 3D through hole models

1 Like

That did it, thank you. I don’t ever recall turning that off, and it persisted through a re-install. Strange.

Strange would be if I lost all my settings while reinstalling. In such case I would probably still be working with v4.0.7 to not have to set everything each time KiCad is updated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.