3D models not showing

There is no 3D model because the librarians have not found a model for this component or the one they have found has not enough quality.
The path is there ready for the future, when someone make the model.

Thanks for the info.

I have same problem after upgrade from kicad v4 to kicat v4 on ubuntu 18.04. There was problem with local kicad configuration stored in /home//.config/kicad/ in my case.
3D components were named in plural in version 4, but from version 5 components names are in singular form (like Resistors vs. Resistor). Here is configuration greped by string “Resistors”:

@bobek:~/.config/kicad$ grep Resistors *
fp-lib-table: (lib (name Resistors_SMD)(type Github)(uri ${KIGITHUB}/Resistors_SMD.pretty)(options “”)(descr “Resistors, surface mount”))
fp-lib-table: (lib (name Resistors_THT)(type Github)(uri ${KIGITHUB}/Resistors_THT.pretty)(options “”)(descr “Resistors, through hole”))
fp-lib-table: (lib (name Resistors_Universal)(type Github)(uri ${KIGITHUB}/Resistors_Universal.pretty)(options “”)(descr Experimental))

So, my solution was to remove/backup old configuration and new one was created at next kicad application start.

Next problem is with existing projects, because symbols are assigned to footprints with plural names (like “Resistors_SMD:R0805”), so I reasigned all symbols to non plural footprint in dialog “Assigning BCP footprints to schematic symbols” (like “Resistor_SMD:R0805_2012Metric”).

From that moment were components visible in 3D view.

I faced the same problem today, on Ubuntu-18.04 installed with kicad-5.0.2
I deleted the directory .config/kicad to remove settings from version4
but 3d view did not show foot prints
ran from a terminal and found that I need to remove
.cache/kicad also from the home directory
After that all is fine. Hope this may be useful to someone.

Regards

Having a similar problem. New to Kicad so no idea where to start trying to resolve this.

Running Debian 9

Application: kicad
Version: 5.0.2+dfsg1-1~bpo9+1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.52.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2q zlib/1.2.8 libidn2/0.16 libpsl/0.17.0 (+libidn2/0.16) libssh2/1.7.0 nghttp2/1.18.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.2 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 2.24
    Boost: 1.62.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
    Curl: 7.52.1
    Compiler: GCC 6.3.0 with C++ ABI 1010

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

I’ve copied the latest Kicad footprints, 3d packages and symbols from https://github.com/KiCad

Under /usr/share/kicad/modules I can for example see Battery.3dshapes/Battery_CR1225 step and wrl files.
In footprint editor I place Battery_CR1225 and launch 3d viewer however I don’t see anything for this.
I’ve checked the display options and also tried deleting the .cache/kicad and .config/kicad folders.

Made no difference.

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-21%2013-31-09

What am I missing? Can’t see any 3d images for any of the components.

Update: Funny how I always seem to fix it after I have posted :slight_smile:
I copied the 3d packages to the wrong folder :frowning:

Path for KISYS3DMOD is /usr/share/kicad/modules/packages3d/
Moved the 3d packages and all working as expected.

When you click on 'Footprint properties" 04 what do you see?

EDIT _ See you have already solved this.

You might want to take a look at this: Library management in KiCad version 5

TlDr: Don’t touch the system folders. You might loose your stuff next time you update kicad.

I face the same problem today, so if you are having the same one, the 3d plugin is located in /usr/lib64/kicad
, so you only need to change the permissions in the folder, I use sudo chmod a+rx -R /usr/lib64/kicad
, and everything works fine.

please report what you needed to do and your operating system over on the bugtracker. I suspect that some assumptions made by the packaging guys do not hold for your system.