"3D model visibility" (Through hole, SMD, Virtual)

3D Viewer

I assume an ‘SMD model’ is simply a .stp file assocated with a footprint which contains only SMD pads(?)

I ask because when I un-check “Show 3D SMD models” some SMD models remain visible. I have to un-check “Show 3D Through hole models” (in addition to un-checking “Show 3D SMD models”) to hide all SMD parts.

Another thing I fail to understand is what a “3D Virtual model” is.

Footprints have an attribute that decides if it is counted as smd, tht or virtual. Settable in the footprint properties via the footprint editor.

1 Like

Many thanks Rene!

I have never noticed the “Fabrication Attributes” field before.

What is the purpose of the “virtual” setting ? What is it used for ?

For example edge connectors. They are just bunch of traces and pads, nothing soldered to them so they don’t need a model or to be populated by any part…

1 Like

Useful for test mechanical parts too that are not part of the design. Eg: enclosures
The footprint of a virtual component should has no copper or any layers that will end in the board.

Why?
All my separately placed pads (to solder wire) are Virtual as they don’t need to be Peak&Place or hand soldering, but they do have some copper.
I use RFID antennas at separate PCBs, but if I had designed such antenna footprint it would also be Virtual and will nedd to have some copper to work.

1 Like

you are right, that is a good and proper use for virtual too.
I was just thinking on enclosures but anything is possible

I generally use a mounting hole as a reference for an enclosure. The MH has solder and other useful layers in pcb, and it is used as a reference coordinate to align the enclosure (typically using the corresponding mounting bosses).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.