3D model on footprint no displayed

Hi,
My problem is when Im making a foot print and select footprint editor/new footprint/footprint properties/3D setting/select the folder icon to add a .stp or .step model it displays properly but when I select it and go back to the page where you scale it or offset it it does not display. I have tried checking and unchecking the box under 3D model but no luck. Every other step or .stp file works just fine.

Where did the model come from? Have you tried opening it in FreeCad via the StepUP workbench?

I also notice that your path points to $KISYS3DMOD which suggests that you are mixing your own footprints & models in with the systems ones… $KISYS3MOD should set to link to models provided in a standard KiCad library install. If you create your own footprints you really should not put those in the standard libraries but rather you should create your own library. Reason - next time you update your libraries or download a new version of KiCad, they will be overwritten. You should put all your personal assets in a separate location (this applies equally to symbols, footprints, models and templates). Have a look at the FAQ.

https://forum.kicad.info/t/library-management-in-kicad-version-5/14636/2

2 Likes

Hi @John_Pateman
Thanks for the reply. I opened the file in freeCAD and exported as .stp, saved as freecad file and then reexported as .stp, and exported as .wrl with no luck. It always displays when selecting the 3D model but will not display once it shows it on the footprint.

Also, I will work on the path.

It sounds to be an offset issue with the model. You may use StepUp tool for freecad to fix the model offset.

3 Likes

Have you tried to rotate your footprint? Maybe the 3d model is offset so much it wen to the “outer space”. I mean, rotate the 3d preview to look for your model.

1 Like

I have tried offsetting, scaling, and rotating

As already suggested, you should try kicadStepUp …
Then with SteUp load the footprint in FreeCAD, import the STEP model and align it to its footprint.
Finally export as STEP and WRL

It’s also possible that you have modified the footprint after it was already on pcb. In that case you need to do “Tools->Update footprints from library” in pcbnew so that footprints get resynced with library.

I have not modified the footprint on the pcb. Im unable to get to that point

does it have to be step up?

Kicad-stepup is an extension to freecad tha allows importing of kicad files into freecad. In this case you will want to use that tool to get the footprint into freecad.
That will then allow you to use any freecad tool to align the 3d model to the footprint.

A tutorial for that step is included in Tutorial: How to make a footprint in KiCad 5.1.x (From scratch)? ( section 3d model handling)

1 Like

@Rene_Poschl, Must I first install freecad in order to add the 3D model as you described in your tutorial ?
Second, has the 3D footprint model described in your tutorial yet been added to
Application: KiCad
Version: 5.1.5+dfsg1-2~bpo10+1, release build ?

The same model will never be added to the official lib. Read the molex license to discover why. (One made by a user could however be added.)

You can add models without freecad. But freecad makes it a lot easier.

Kicad-stepup extension on freeCAD solved the problem. The model was waaaaayyyyyy off. I aligned with footprint and resaved the connector as .stp.

Thanks everyone

5 Likes

In StepUp there is one button (till now it is the only StepUp button I have learned to use) to export step and wrl (right scalled) files at once.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.