3D Model not showing

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.6)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Only one part is not showing when I do 3D Viewer. I think everything is set correctly in the library paths because one other part is using a shape from the same PRETTY library and it is visible. Ive checked the footptrints and I can see the same path.

What are the 3D settings for each footprint? Have you checked if the 3D model files actually exist in the filesystem?

For the ULN2003 I was using the SO-16_5.3x10.2mm_P1.27mm but when viewed with 3D the part is not there. I don’t know what is causing the SO-16 package not to show.

I just tried the SOIC-16_3.9x9.9mm_P1.27mm model and that one is visible.

Maybe the 3d model does not exist in the library? This may be the case even though it is referenced in the properties for the footprint.

1 Like

To clarify: Every footprint MUST be setup with a default path according to the library convention no matter if a 3d model really exists. This is done to allow us to easily add 3d models to the lib without the need to touch the footprints. (It is an effort saving rule which is non negotiable)

Did you already check if the file ${KISYS3DMOD}/Package_SO.3dshapes/SO-16_5.3x10.2mm_P1.27mm.wrl actually exists in your file system?

(I don’t have the official 3D library for 5.1.6 installed so I can’t check myself.)

It can not exist as it does not exit in https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-packages3D/tree/master/Package_SO.3dshapes

So we were hit by https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/3815 again?

We are hit with the strange expectation that everything must be supplied by the official lib. Completely unreasonable of course but well here we go again.

1 Like

No, it’s not the expectation that everything must be supplied by the official lib. It’s the expectation that if there’s a model file name in the footprint, the file actually exists. Completely reasonable of course. It has nothing to do with expected coverage of the library. That’s why I filed that wish. To inform the user that even though there is a file name, there is no file.

1 Like

Okay, I understand now. Thank you!

[edit]

There’s a slightly differently named footprint with this model:

${KISYS3DMOD}/Package_SO.3dshapes/SOIC-16W_5.3x10.2mm_P1.27mm.wrl

you can replace your SO package with the SOIC package. I don’t see any significant difference between them.

You point out a wrong file.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.