3d model conversion assistance

I am trying to convert some 3d models to .step, but I’m having difficulties with some .wrl or .igs source files.
I know there is a difference between mesh- and solid-based models, and interconversion is not trivial.

In Freecad I can import a mesh model, convert it to a solid and then export as .step. If I re-import this step file, it often consists of several other parts - which I have to combine again so StepUp can operate on it.

Now my problem is either the resulting filesize is too large to work with, or I just can’t seem to make a single-part .step model at all due to the individual parts not wanting to merge, or the resulting step file is - again - made of separate parts.

I’ve tried all sorts of interconversions, and I’m about to pull my hair out :frowning: I just want a rough approximation of the original model - colors are not important. Not being able to detect collisions or anything fancy doesn’t interest me either.

If someone can help me out with these models, I’d greatly appreciate it :slight_smile:

Stereo_Pot.IGS (1.3 MB)
Switch_Pot_Small_Shaft.IGS (2.2 MB)
Single_Pot.IGS (1.2 MB)
Alpha_9mm_Vertical_T18.wrl (3.5 MB)

@Jules

Iges (igs) format often leads to surface shells instead of real solid models… then it is often very difficult to obtain a good solid model to work with.
If the starting model is a mesh object you get even a worst scenario.

For your 3d models it would be easier to start modelling from the manufacturer’s dimensions…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.