3D folder missing

Hi,
I just installed nightly:
Application: KiCad
Version: 5.99.0-unknown-912657dd23~106~ubuntu20.04.1, release build
It works but there is no 3dmodels folder in /usr/lib/kicad-nightly/share/kicad.

If I try to install with /usr/lib/kicad-nightly/share/kicad, answer is kicad-nightly-packages3d est déjà la version la plus récente (202012230826+d8b7e8c5~8~ubuntu20.04.1)

Yesterday, I installed nightly Windows version on another computer, and everything is OK. I could copy from Windows, but I like to understand…

What commands did you use to install kicad-nightly?

Long time ago I noticed that I only partly installed (the then current) KiCad version, and it only installed some of the packages.

These are the packages related to “kicad-nightly” on my system. the “i” in the first column indicate which are installed currently.

paul@medion:~$ apt search kicad-nightly
i   kicad-nightly                   - Electronic schematic and PCB design softwa
p   kicad-nightly-dbg               - Debug symbols for kicad                   
i A kicad-nightly-demos             - Common files used by kicad                
i   kicad-nightly-footprints        - Kicad footprints (modules)                
i   kicad-nightly-libraries         - meta-package for dep to all KiCad librarie
i   kicad-nightly-packages3d        - Kicad packages3d (3d models for footprints
i   kicad-nightly-symbols           - Kicad symbols (schematic)                 
i   kicad-nightly-templates         - Kicad templates   

You can add or remove some of the available packages to tweak KiCad to your liking.

I’ve got exactly the same results for this command. It seems to be installed, but I don’t know where…

It should be in /usr/share/kicad…, not /usr/lib/…

EDIT: “lib” stands for “library” but on computer systems means program blocks, programming libraries, not application data libraries. “share” on Linux is for platform independent data.

It was automatically installed like this, I used install method from Kicad.org:

Blockquote

sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-dev-nightly
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kicad-nightly
# You can also install debug symbols:
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-dbg
# Demo
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-demos
# and libraries
sudo apt install kicad-nightly-footprints kicad-nightly-libraries kicad-nightly-packages3d kicad-nightly-symbols kicad-nightly-templates

Blockquote

KISYS3DMOD points to /usr/lib/kicad-nightly/share/kicad/3dmodels/, and /usr/share/kicad-nightly contains symbolic links to library and modules from … /usr/lib…

Found it: packages3d are in /usr/lib/kicad-nightly/share/kicad/modules/packages3d, not in kicad/3dmodels folder. The KISYS3DMOD parameter doesn’t match installation folders.
I don’t know why libraries are installed in /usr/lib for nightly and /usr/share for stable version, but both work well now.
Thanks for your help, KiCad has a great community.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.