3D Colors missing in FreeCad (Solved)

Can colors now added to Freecad image. I exported my design to step file, and it looks fine, except colors. I think KiCad could add them, and FreeCad too, but how?.
Edit: I use Win10/64 and 6.0.10. Freecad is 20.1 and there is KiCad stepup add on, in FreeCad

That seems a FreeCAD import setting option issue… You may post your file here or at FC forum

Seems nearly every update of FreeCad has some quirky legacy/non-legacy aspects that make consistency of ‘How to do’ things a re-education experience. Especially when in combination with Plugins/Macros… and, users not curious enough to explore and try “What-If’s”…

That said, the basic ‘Upshot’ is in what you select for exporting.

I generally just use the default features of FreeCad but, sometimes use StepUp.

Both work for colored STEP exports:

Not using Stepup:
Select ALL of the Part/items in the Tree>Export>Step_With_Colors

Using Stepup:
Select ALL of the Part/items in the Tree>Click the Cylindrical Icon (3D To Step)

The example model shows colored Faces (by using the Color_Per_Face_Tool, screenshot)

The FreeCad Model: {colorme is the Model)

The Standard Way of Exporting Step AND from StepUp [Unamed1 results are the same]

Color_Per_Face Icon
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 10.37.45

no, the issue is in NOT setting the right import option… Simply that

I did Not set anything… I just exported as stated, then Imported.

That was referred to the OP and default FC importing settings

You both, Maui and BlackCoffee, seem to use FreeCad to export KiCad PCB to step file. Is it better to use Freecad for exporting, I have used KiCad so far.

I can’t send my work file, but I quess I could do a simple test version, when I start Win10 again. This is now W7.

Oh, glad you clarified…

Is that enough? I can’t test it now. FreeCad?, that is new. I have used it only to see what an exported step would look. Does it matter how the PCB is opened. There seemed to be several ways for that, or I just missunderstood it.

I replied to your post

Seems nearly every update of FreeCad has some quirky legacy/non-legacy aspects that make consistency of ‘How to do’ things a re-education experience.

because of your affermation on FC, which is not true IMO… that was only due to FC import settings.

The issue is in FC import STEP settings, not export.
it is better if you post your issue at FC forum… a search there for import step compound would give the solution… I’m at a mob phone so I cannot help more ATM

That it is ‘Your’ opinion is true. My opinion is different and I’ve been using FreeCad since it’s v12. But, I won’t belabor opinions.

There are several ways to do things in FreeCad (it has many Workbenches (which are, basically Programs that can stand-alone or would with Tools from other Workbenches…

If I want a PCB with/without Parts, Traces/Pads, such as to build a 3D-printed Box around it, I use Stepup to load the PCB/etc. No STEP export from Kicad is needed.

If I want a 3D-Step model of Parts (colored or not-colored) to use in Kicad, I export Step from FreeCad and associate it with a Footprint in Kicad. You can use Stepup for that, but I don’t.

Experience, not opinion
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=50308

My ‘Opinions’ come from my experience.

Have you followed the link I posted? The imported FC gray STEP file (generated from KiCad export menu) just because of a FC import setting…
simply as that
Not because of FC inconsistencies or external workbenches

here a direct solution
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?p=545922#p545922

1 Like

and, below is…
a brief sample… and, I’ve noticed on occasion you, too have needed to fix your StepUp plugin/workbench. I leave this topic here…

But you are referring to FC0.17, like going to kicad 3 or 4
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Moreover if that was a daily build, that is a normal developing cycle and not a FC inconsistency…

Thank you both, I see colors now. A little bleak, but definitely colors.

If I understand this correctly, there is nothing wrong in the step file I exported from KiCad. It is just a question whether to show colors in the viewer or not.