3-28 nightly will handle a netplane on a netplane

In the below screenshot, the triangular +3v3 plane was attempted to be added

1st try:
I added in the triangular shape associating it with net 3v3.
Pressed “b”
Ground plane did not change. The triangle shape was still there and connected to 3v3 but no change in green copper.

2nd try:
From the above I named the area “heatspreader” and saved it.
Pressed “b” and what you see in the photo is how the copper ended up. The triangle is still associated with net 3v3 but somehow Kicad thinks it’s something else.

Windows10/64

Application: KiCad PCB Editor

Version: (5.99.0-10027-g0561ce903e), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.4
libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19041), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Mar 28 2021 12:09:42
wxWidgets: 3.1.4 (wchar_t,STL containers)
Boost: 1.75.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
ngspice: 34
Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

What are the thermal relief settings for the zone? Unless I misunderstood the issue, I think that is expected behaviour if you have thermal reliefs on for the pads.

1 Like

I’m with Qbort.
You’re just seeing the thermal relief.

I was sort of wondering why your Zone did not connect to the horizontal track between the big rectangular Nr 2 pad and the right side via, but the zone is just too small.

When working with overlapping zones, you also have to set their priority levels. Zones with higher priority get filled first.

1 Like

Thank yo both. Of course you guys were correct, I totally did not connect with I saw with thermal reliefs :frowning:

And a few nightlys ago I ran into a similar issue where the Ground fill would not open up for a bottom trace. I guess I jumped to the conclusion it was a similar issue and didn’t do enough troubleshooting.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.