20JUL18 V5.0.0 CRASH in 3D Viewer

In the Windoze Testing tomorrow…

Launching the 3D viewer completely crashes KiCad on Win 7.

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.3
libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.60.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.54.1
Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=OFF
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Which installer is that one from, 20th July Nightlies r10708/9 are not 5.0.0 at all, being derived from Master after a big dump of commits that are not in the 5.0 branch

Compare recent activity on Master, 5.1 and 5.0 on GitHub

I briefly had that build from the test folder installed in a Win7 VM, and as I recall the 3D rendering of the project I tested worked OK. However when clicking around in PCBNew I got a strange Wxwidget message of uncertain meaning. It was indicating as if Kicad or part of KiCad thought a second instance was launched. Keep in mind that these files are not official releases, but were partially put up to test the new certificate. I am currently running the 5.0.1 development release version in the patch sub-folder as my main installation, and have not seen the problem there.

David, I think the OP refers to the files in the testing folder referred to here, not the nightlies:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/eeschema-wont-run/11611/6?u=otoien

As I stated elsewhere, the 6.0 development nightlies now are best used for testing only in separate installations; there are just too many changes with all those commits to expect it to have much stability.

http://downloads.kicad.org/windows/testing/

I figured there was a reason why the link was shared on this forum.

From what I can tell, somewhere between the 15th and the 20th, should be the expected “5.0.0 release” build. These are some of the files at that link:

kicad-5.0.0-i686.exe 20-Jul-2018 02:38 1063082728
kicad-5.0.0-x86_64.exe 20-Jul-2018 02:39 1062589456
kicad-5.0.0_rc3-i686.exe 18-Jul-2018 23:11 859186064
kicad-5.0.0_rc3-x86_64.exe 18-Jul-2018 23:12 858693056

In all of the Release Candidates that I’ve used, the help files have been missing. The 20JUL18 5.0.0 file does include all the help files.

At the moment, I’m thinking about reverting back to an RC3. However, I may “live on the edge” and tinker with this version knowing that I can not use the 3D viewer; something about it feels like it runs significantly faster on my machine.

Well, there is a clue in the name :slight_smile:

testing != release

@bobc You will be happy to see me write I do not recommend anyone attempt to use this build for actual projects.

I also recommend extreme caution when attempting to use a nightly after 15JUL18.

Timezones again? :smiley: .

1 Like

Typos again.

more tyops for 20 characters

We would be much more happy if you sent us the stack trace of the crash you see on your system.

Tom

And how would I do that? What exactly are you looking for? The only thing I might be able to get is the Windows dialog, as KiCad completely locks up.

On Edit: I just found out that it does not crash for every project.crash

I was able to minimize the 3D viewer. There are no through hole dips on the board.

Trying to figure out what might be different and this came up:
crash2

Found out that the /wxWidgets issue occurs with mouse-over of the “Tools” menu on every project.
Also found that the left sidebar buttons for zone visibility don’t work on every project.

Hi Tom
Do you know if any guides, tutorials etc. For making a proper bug report with the whole tjubang? (stacktrace, GDB debug stuff and whatever Buzz words I have come across)

Preferably at the level of “just got KiCad to compile”

2 Likes

These now appear to have both been fixed.
However, the wxWidgets error above gets toggled both when clicking the “Tools” menu or when trying to open the 3D viewer.

This Nightly does not crash on my Windoze 7 machine.

Application: kicad
Version: (6.0.0-rc1-dev-107-gb6934bf54), release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.3
libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.23.1 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.3 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.60.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.8.0
Curl: 7.54.1
Compiler: GCC 7.1.0 with C++ ABI 1011

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

I have not tested everything, but have tested all the things that I have had issues with in the recent past.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.