2 layers pcb thickness

Hello.

I would like to ask you how to decide the pcb thickness. It is two layers pcb with Fr-4 and there will be three LED on the board. Lower the thickness I got better bandwidth…so I could use 0.8T, 1.0T or 1.6T… I have no idea which would be the best choice for my application.

I understand that you are designing something microwave. Yes?
If yes I know nothing about it but I suppose subject is so complicated that noone can suggest you right decision.

how much your willing to pay vs what traces you need to control the impedance of,

Thinner boards can use thinner traces for the same impedance

There is also how sturdy a PCB is, a 0.4mm thick PCB can bend a 90 degree angle over 12cm of length, where a 1.6mm board needs about 1 meter to bend the same radius. and a 3mm thick board needs about 4 meters.

If your working with thermal accuracy, a thinner board will conduct less heat, but heat up or cool down quicker,

And finally with LED’s it will come down to viewing angle if they are reverse mounted leds (pads on back of board and led sticks in a hole) obviously if the board is thicker than the point the light is generated it will constrain the viewing angle to the equivalent cone, so if you need say 140 degree visibility its an issue, if you only need handheld e.g. about 60 degree viewing angle, then your good for most board thicknesses

1.6mm tends to be the cheapest to get produced because a lot of people order that size, so they can run a panel sooner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.