2.4GHz Antenna, copper plane on one side?

Hi all,

I’m using the Texas 2.4GHz footprint that comes with Kicad. My PCB faces outwards of a hole on a smallish metal enclosure. As such the radiance is only useful 180 degree outwards.

My question is whether I should use a copper plane on the opposite side (unconnected) to reflect the energy and (potentially) prevent it reverberating around the enclosure and affecting antenna performance?

I also notice there’s a via on the footprint that’s unconnected and wondered what it’s for?

Keep copper zones far away from antenna’s, in general they don’t reflect, but absorb or distort RF signals. Your metal enclosure is also likely to be a problem. I am not an RF guy myself, but if you want to do stuff like this, start by finding, reading and comprehending some decent literature.

As paulvdh said, ‘start reading’…

I’m not suggesting you buy this book (look for my post) as you may find what you want on the internet. But, having the book (30 yrs ago before internet’s wide use/availability) was a good solution for me (contains everything to know about PCB design and Emission’s).

Several releases over the years so, perhaps used books available… Check Amazon…

That is probably not going to work well close to a ground plane.
A better choice would be a patch antenna, which needs one.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.