Zone filling confusion

To get full GND coverage on your board first you need to have proper layout and also proper routing.
Try to use one layer for horizontal tracks and other for vertical tracks, with this you wont cut out any copper pours you try to make later on. ( and you can connect ground pours on front and back with vias so you have a full coverage ).

1 Like

So you have pours on both layers but no connection?
First picture you posted is better solution than this because this will make things even worse.

I made pin 7 as GND. Is that better?

Worse. How?

the previous is better but is it sufficient?

This is the result after making pin 7 GND . but is this much grounding sufficient?

@Rene_Poschl

Because now you have copper pour but it doesnt do anything, is like island of copper that contribute to EMI.
Take a look at chapter 2.2 Power Distribution for Two-Layer Boards
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/szza009/szza009.pdf

My Current Status:

Should I strive for more?

@Joan_Sparky @Rene_Poschl @davidsrsb @Indir_Okanovic @ChrisGammell

should i strive for more?
@dchisholm

What is it you are trying to achieve with these ground planes? This board does not merit the use of ground planes. As it is it does not require a ground connection at the connector, but it might be a good idea if you want to allow for additional functionality in the future.

@arvimg
I put the resistors and transistors in that particular area vs the display/connector to show you how high density layout is to be approached for a newcomer and how small it could get - to show how bad your start with the autorouter was.
Itā€™s not really suited for what youā€™re doing right now, with the connector so far off.

Iā€™m sure it will work either way, but itā€™s not optimized for what you need.

With that much space you got there you could probably route all of that on F.Cu if you rearrange the connector pin assignment.
This would then lead to very short traces, just between the connector pins, the devices and finally the display pins.

Sorry that I put you on a somewhat wrong track there.

Off-Topic:
Are you the electronic designer or the layouter?
Your first posts sounded like you had an electronics guy that would need you for the layout in your projectā€¦

1 Like

That looks like decent coverage. Like @Joan_Sparky and @1.21Gigawatts say, this circuit does not require much attention to the ground distribution subsystem. As a tutorial exercise, or a personal challenge, you could investigate ways to increase the coverage of ground planes but I donā€™t think thereā€™s either a technical nor a business requirement driving that effort.

Dale

1 Like

Can you please explain , "Why? "

Do you guys get full coverage in the first attempt? Can I get a full coverage similar in look to that with ā€˜no netā€™ but instead with a GND present ?

I am electronics engineering traineeā€¦ I am in my learning phase as a trainee so initially I was given the task to make the pcb for a circuit which is sub circuit to a major circuit. So, I didnā€™t change the circuit much , I wanted to make the board for whatever I have been given. I felt that was the challenge.

The problem now is that you ask very similar questions in multiple topics.
This makes communication harder.
(especially because not everyone reads every topic.)

I realize that such an issue is happening in this case with both the question interlinked on a very good scale. I apologise. Such a thing wonā€™t happen in further posts.

Rene has quite clearly progressed with a solution. Thanks !

Itā€™s mainly a problem for you because you might get conflicting answers.

1 Like