Yet another release date 6.x question

Is there a “not” missing there?

At the end of the day, whatever you call it the same amount of work has to be done.

No. Because the development/testing model hasn’t changed and the universe hasn’t changed since v5, we can be 100% sure that a big bunch of new bugs will be found after the next named version is announced. If it’s called RC we can be 100% sure that it can’t be expected to be released after only a couple of bug fixes and RC2; therefore the name RC won’t be appropriate.

Yes, approximately, and why not use more realistic naming then which can even have some positive effects? After all, it wouldn’t require any more work, right?

But I think this discourse has run its course without changing the universe. We are repeating the same things. I can only restate which I have said before in new ways. I think my arguments are well based and logical. So are yours. The basic difference is that you and the developers don’t care while I would be willing to try something new to see if it would make some difference (albeit small) for the wide audience and the project, and at the same time use words which would communicate the actual situation better.

When people start using ad homs like that, you know they have no logical argument.

It’s not an ad hominem argument. I just described your attitude towards the version names which is evident in what you have wrote. My attitude is different. I didn’t mean it to be derogatory. You have your reasons to not care and I don’t say they are bad.

Sorry, I don’t find a “lock” emoticon for this so I just say “this can be locked” and time to move on. I understand your point that in the end the version names don’t change much. V6 will be released anyway when it’s ready. There’s more heat than light here. Everyone has already formed their opinion by now.

EDIT: when I said “you don’t care” I meant only that you don’t care if it’s called RC or beta and therefore changing it seems to be futile in your opinion. I didn’t mean you don’t care about version names in general or don’t care about other things.

lol and you complain about “ad hominem”?

Well maybe I partly deserve it, but let’s not continue this any more.

1 Like