Work in progress: Native Altium Importer

• an other problem is the position of the Strings, it seems like the origin of the Strings on the top_overlay is different in altium and kicad

Thanks. The Text problems are known, but at least for the alignment I do not have a solution yet.

I think to solve this I need to know exactly how which text can be aligned in which way. Like, is it possible for designators to have their anchor in the center, or is it always the right bottom side? And if this can change, is the setting somewhere else than for normal text.

1 Like

I found one more:

the mechanical dimensions are somehow wrong, seems like a calculation problem…

53.50 mm != 53.4968 mm

Altium:

Kicad:

It seems like the anchor is always in the left bottom of the text.

here two screenshots, once with text horizontal, anchor @ 27.585/-19.925mm (that’s more or less where I have my mouse => x:24.925mm, Y -16.575mm) => the x on the bottom left of “C”

the other one with a vertical label (rotation 90°) the anchor is on the bottom right or at the same point if you consider the rotation

So it seems that the anchor is always on the same point for the text overlay on components.

For Texts in cooper (Layer top/bottom as well as the internal layers I checked) the anchor seems to be in centre.

other Texts on top overlay /bottom overlay layer have the anchor as well on the bottom left side and act the same with the rotation as text overlays on components.

Can you please check if the dimension is really 53.50. You can specify the number of digits in Altium, and then altium applies rounding

jep, that was the problem:

it is possible testing the importer in the nightly versions? or need to compile ?

Yes, the importer has been merged on master, so the normal nightlies made for master should include the feature.

1 Like

It is accessible from Pcnew open from project or stand alone?

One stupid question, the importer will be able to import footprints made in Altium?

@jneiva I think it currently only import complete altium board files (PcbDoc?), and yes, start pcbnew in standalone.

@pointhi When try to import the following project https://github.com/tudelft/iridium shows the following message

iridium-import

1 Like

nice find. This is the problem with reverse-engineering. You never know how the file format is really structured. I will try to fix this assumption so that the board will open in future KiCad versions.

I can confirm that, happens also under Linux with new built master (git hash 0dfdc37a)

the cause of this error is in file

it seems that your altium pcb file has a subrecord5 length of 114, with my patch
I am able to open the Board

=> https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/merge_requests/172

3 Likes

just found another possible useful link if you like to import 3d models from altium as well:

Thanks. The reason why I do not support step models yet is simply out of laziness. They are stored as compressed step files. The question is where we should extract them (add a user dialog to choose?) because KiCad does not support embedded step files for now.

1 Like

maybe simply create a folder “imported_altium_step” in the project directory and store them there

Yeah. There are two additional things to consider:

• what if the directory or file already exists?
    • Overwrite?
    • Ask User?

I think adding a dialog asking if models should be imported and what directory to use would be the best solution.

3 Likes

the newest win binary with the fix for this error is now available:
https://kicad-downloads.s3.cern.ch/windows/testing/patched/kicad-patched-657-98b9c80eb-x86_64.exe

1 Like

@stefan_test, thanks for letting me know
Have already tested in linux mint and it is working nice.

Now a off topic question.
Whitch version of altium to make simple board to later import in kicad?