Windows Nightly too big

Bwahaha. I should do this from next time. Can’t believe I missed this simple option.

How does that help with the download size?

I can pretty easily uncheck the library options in the installer, so I don’t know if using a zip manager makes installing any quicker.

1 Like

It doesn’t. My quote was referring to the copy time of the 3d models you mentioned. And I don’t want to use the installer because I have 3 different versions (stable, 5.1-dev and 6-dev) and I don’t want to risk to alter my installations. YMMV.

I can understand that. It’s easy to forget to change the installation directory when using the installer daily (for nightly builds). But having the version appended automatically to the installation folder (and to the Start Menu shortcuts), as I suggested above, would help - there would be no need for any workaround.

1 Like

I gotchu

That was quick :slight_smile:

I hope it will be taken as default, at least for nightlies. Unfortunately it needs some setting up, so if nobody is willing to do that work, too, it will be useless. After all normal users almost never build the installer.

The same may be the case with the installation directory and the shortcuts. It’s easy to set them but it would need some setup so that it would be automatic with nightly builds. And the config folder should be set up while building KiCad itself, the installer doesn’t help with that.

One problem at a time. My PR solves the “too big” issue.

I was just speculating :slight_smile:

If you really are willing to take the second problem, too, I suggest you first make sure it will actually be used when creating the official installers. Maybe @nickoe has something to say about that.

We already have ongoing exchange on github in PR comments. Kicad folks are quite responsive :slight_smile:
Also the way I set it up the new light installer will become the default even if nothing changes in release pipeline. Some tweaks will be necessary to keep the old full installer.

the only issue I see is that there is no offline full installer …
in some user case this could be an issue.

There is, I kept the old installer, just renamed it. Whoever manages the release pipeline will just have one more exe to upload.

perfect then :slight_smile: … I know that in some user case people prefer to download the full installer and install on offline computer the package.