Windows MSVC Builds (+Python 3.9 support) available

As far as I remember there were compatibility issues with 64 bit and 32 bit builds, which all have been supported by ngspice.

I am considering switching to an exclusive 64 bit build, then the situation will become eased.

Of course there is a incompatibility issue but my point is you are both building and bundling 32-bit from 64-bit separately.
i.e. 32 and 64bit already have separate MSVC output folders and then your script outputs “ngspice32” and “ngspice64”.

So there is no need for “64” in the filenames at any point

1 Like

MSVC builds updated to OpenCascade 7.5 and ngspice 34

EDIT: ngspice 64 bit will have the “64” suffix removed in the next build as well

1 Like

Thanks all for this work to get MSVC running!

I had a nightly from early Feb installed on Win 10. I uninstalled it using the Control Panel, then installed the version below. Simple as that. A MS VC++ popup appeared briefly before install started, which seemed correct and reasonable.

When I launch Pcbnew preferences I see the following:

I then installed the latest nightly version and confirmed that there was no issue opening Pcbnew preferences.

MSVC build:

Application: KiCad PCB Editor

Version: (5.99.0-9276-gf1039dfb94), release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.1.4
	libcurl/7.74.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
	Date: Feb 22 2021 00:16:29
	wxWidgets: 3.1.4 (wchar_t,STL containers)
	Boost: 1.75.0
	OCC: 7.5.0
	Curl: 7.74.0-DEV
	ngspice: 34
	Compiler: Visual C++ 1928 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
	KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
	KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

msys2 build:

Application: KiCad

Version: (5.99.0-9277-g959c2f18ab), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.5
libcurl/7.71.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1g (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh2/1.9.0 nghttp2/1.41.0

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19042), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 22 2021 09:58:18
wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.73.0
OCE: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.71.0
ngspice: 34
Compiler: GCC 10.2.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

That is a bug that just got fixed 6 hours ago in 959c2f18

1 Like

Ha! What a stroke of luck! Thanks, Jon. I’ll try the next MSVC build, then.

Edit: Confirmed the very latest MSVC build as of now does not have an issue opening the preferences.

Does this mean, that KiCAD’s Python can use packages from pypi.org that have binary dependencies?

The present version could, you were just limited by packages that still provided py27 support - almost useless as I really needed numpy :wink:

as long as pip is bundled with the bundled python it should … ill d/l the msvc nightly now for my windows machine to see

2 Likes

Theoretically, please try it out and report bugs against it. Hopefully we can iron out the last things before a stable 6.0

There’s no easy way to iron out that kind of issue tbh.

Otherwise in theory they’ll work

Oh! It seems to work nicely (I can install packages with binary dependencies). Finally, KiKit will be usable on Windows! Now we just have to wait for the Python API in nightly…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.