Why does entered value in Editing Options changes itself?(Symbol Editor)

I agree with your comment; completely: but: I am still surprised that the “powers that be” have retained N as the default for “Switch to next Grid”.

My story:
I only use symbols from personal libraries. Some are “home made”, many are copies from Kicad. Consequently, I have added many more grids to the Symbol Editor, and, because I can, to the Schematic Editor also.
I am aware that because of my additional grids, I must continually check my current grid displayed at the bottom of the screen, because the N key no longer toggles, it scrolls. This is a nuisance for me as I sometimes miss hit the M key while working.
I solved this problem by re-assigning hotkeys. This is not difficult.
Switch to Previous Grid is Shift + N, so I made Switch to Next Grid Alt + N and made Edit Grids N.
Making these changes meant changing grids was now accomplished only with a deliberate action.

Accidentally hitting the N key by mistake now harmlessly shows a grid preference window, so I know I have miss-hit the M key and hitting the Esc key is a lot easier and requires far less thought and observance than wondering why the drawings have changed, what caused the problem and how is that problem fixed; even if it is just toggling between two assigned grids (25 & 50 mil).

I am just so surprised that management, after all the Grid changes to make life easier, especially for newbees, that using the N hotkey to change grids, is still retained.

Thank you very much, I did not know about this solution earlier. Yesterday I had managed to get with one project about 130 warnings again like in the attached picture and was moving parts and lines once again one by one until I remember to check new answers from this discussion.
Not sure whether the problem was the “N” key, but my grid size was 10. I changed it now to 50 manually
and did the steps you suggested and the problem was solved.

2 Likes

Generally speaking, I agree with this sentiment. But if you need to print schematics conforming to a certain ISO/ANSI standard, there are some dimensions that should be exact.

This probably fits in your category of “wrong purpose”, but I have needed to put some simple schematics directly onto the silkscreen of a PCB, and in that weird case, it was important that the schematics had real-world dimensions.

I am American and old, and while I use metric as much as possible, I’m also very comfortable with working in mils, and have been using imperial grids for schematic tools since 1986. But I can see how this could be awkward for our European and Asian colleagues. But I can also see what a logistical nightmare it would be to generate and maintain two sets of symbol libraries, say one used on 100 mil grids and another based on 2.5 mm (not 2.54) grids.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.