- Because CERN with some Polish dudes on its payroll saved KiCAD from oblivion and even gave it an edge with the interactive/shovel routing.
- Because it eventually got a usable (“accelerated”) “toolset”.
- Because the recent (as of today) “unstable” builds no longer crash every couple of mouse clicks like the “stable” ones do.
- Because you can eventually have some form of link between the schematics and the layout, without going through netlist file export/import all the time
- Because Cadsoft have never had satisfactory licence upgrade offer, even for long-term, paying customers and now it is no more anyway
- Because every suggestion of paying a “subscription” licence is met with middle finger before it even reaches frontal cortex
I could list as many reasons for NOT choosing KiCAD over EAGLE but I’ll save those for adequately named thread