Where is pad property "do not connect to zones"?

My filled zones do not connect to pads of the same net. According to an old answer here, I should check the pad property for “do not connect to zones”. However, I cannot find this property when editing a pad.

So where do I find “do not connect to zones” in Kicad 5.1.5?

Does it connect to some pads or no pads at all. If no pads then you need to assign the zone to a net. (most likely)

If it is only some pads, less likely, it may be done by checking the footprint settings.

If it is all the same footprint then you might have to edit the original footprint.

No, the fill and the pad are the same net, but they don’t connect.

This post might contain the answer:

However, I cannot find the property mentioned.

If it is just the one pad then it is the second screen grab shown. Hover over the pad and hit “e” to edit.

And which of those properties do I have to change? The linked post mentions “do not connect to zones”, which is not listed in the second screen shot.

Look at the bottom options. The parent could be set to None so you can change it here if it is just the one footprint. Otherwise specify solid or thermal relief.

Sorry, doesn’t work. I would guess this is about defaults, but not the property in question.

Your screenshot shows that the zone avoids the other pad (number 2?). Therefore the clearance of the zone is probably the reason, because the clearance area of the pad is smaller.

I set the zone clearance to 0, and the pad clearance was already 0. They still don’t touch. (Why would the clearance for things within the same net be relevant?)

Copied from a screenshot by hermit…

It’s the “Pad connection”. As you can see, it can be inherited from the footprint of the pad, so you may want to check the corresponding property of the whole footprint or change it individually for this pad only. The thermal relief values must also be something sensible.

Try moving the outline of the zone below the centre line of the pad

I changed the pad type of pins 1 and 2 to Solid, like the zone. No change, however.

Did that, no change.

Speaking of clearance, on the screenshot you can see that the clearance of pin 2 (the small oval) is well below the zone.

The zone itself has clearance settings. They take precedence. Make sure these are not set too high.

OK, I found it. For the screenshot above, I didn’t set the clearance to 0. And the zone for which I did set the clearance to 0, the minimal width prevented the zone from connecting to the pin.

So everything works now, thanks for your help!

One thing I don’t understand, though: Why is the clearance applied when connecting things of the same net?

Without maybe sharing the whole project it might be hard to tell. There could be something else going on. I’ve never had the problem but the ‘connection to copper zones’ set to none would be the only logical thing I could think of off hand. But, you set it off that so it wasn’t inherited from something ‘weird’. Unless the software didn’t pick up on it?

What do you mean by “connection to copper zones … you set it off”? I cannot remember doing that. In fact my original question was where the similar "do not connect to zones” property is located? I still don’t know (although the problem was solved).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.