Where I can set view pads, as in old Kicad version, on route track?

What I’m talking about.

I’m happy! Great news… ))

Not what you might expect. The deferred color change was fixed…

I’m happy! Great news… ))

I’don’t think the bugfix refers to your original complain, the bug affected the color-display directly after a color-change in the color-palette-setting.

Regarding your complain: The pad-color can’t be set independently from the copper-color. And it will not come back in v6.0.x (and also not in v7 - as there is already a feature-freeze announced for the development of that version).

You could try to change the transparency-slider for copper-tracks and/or for Pads in the appearance-manager–>objects-tab (on the right side).

There was already a discussion on that topic: PCB Editor 6.0.8 pad color, but with only 2 complains since januar 2022 (release of v6.0.) I think most users can live with the developers decision. It’s just a matter of habit.

I even find having different colors for pads and the trace leading off them disconcerting. But that’s only me.

Not only you. When I moved to V6 it bothered me that I see filled zone in different color than tracks and pads at the same layer. It looked for me as being at a different layer. I was happy finding that the source of problem was opacity settings that I fortunately could set to 100% and have back “one layer = one color” state.
There are enough layers you have to take care of (copper, mask, paste, silk, courtyard - all for top and bottom - so 10 colors needed at the beginning) than adding more colors only complicates. And if you go for more than 2 layers PCB. Fortunately at inner layers you don’t have mask, paste,…

I do not understand what the problem is to make a choice in the settings?

It’s not a matter of habit. It’s comfort and ease of use.
Why should I play with translucency if, with translucency turned off with maximum contrast, you can simply leave the color of the pads by default, and choose the color of the tracks you want.

And then I see how the track goes, how symmetrical it is with respect to the pads. Whether it goes beyond the boundaries of the contact area. I could see and control all processes. Select grid scale for precise positioning, colors, width, etc.

It is also not clear why there is no button on the control panel to highlight the circuit. This must be done either with hotkeys or as in the ancient P-CAD in the drop-down menu.

There is also no net selection in the schematic editor to select a net on the schematic. To highlight it in the PCB editor. On the contrary, you can highlight in the PCB editor and then the circuit or element will be highlighted in the schematic editor.

It’s depressing that my favorite KiCad turns into god knows what, and a bow on the side …

In the PCB editor there is the Net Inspector. RTFM

kicad_xIdFTiwEwb

[EDIT] In addition to that ctrl+click on a track highlights the respective net. RTFM

There is also no net selection in the schematic editor to select a net on the schematic. To highlight it in the PCB editor. On the contrary, you can highlight in the PCB editor and then the circuit or element will be highlighted in the schematic editor.

This also works the other way around (highlighting from schematic into board). Is this feature enabled in your preferences? (enable both: Preferences–>Schematic Editor–>Display options–>cross probing and Preferences–>Board Editor–>Display options–>cross probing)

additional general notes:

• first try to get used to something new, than complain (your original complain is OK, but all from your last post are implemented)
  • to say something “must” be implemented is in most cases false - many people can work without “must have”-features
  • to say something like “whats the problem, it’s very easy” is also mostly not correct. Everey feature needs implementation (needs work), is a source for future bugs, clutters the GUI for all people who doesn’t use it, … (and many more disadvantages). As answer to such an argument I tend to say:
    • if it where that easy and that useful normally the developers had implemented it - in most cases they are doing a good job.
2 Likes

Both enabled. But look…

Here you see another awkwardness and misrepresentation. I was looking for circuit highlighting net in the schematic editor menu. And I didn’t find it. It turned out that the button to highlight the nets is on the control panel on the right.

At the same time, the same button in the PCB editor is not on the toolbar on the right. It’s misleading. Through Ctrl + track, of course, the nets is highlighted.

A very, very strange interface becomes … Somehow it is not logical …

You are right, the highlight-behaviour is not 100% identical in schematic and board. While I also heavily prefer a consistent user interface I acknowledge at the same this is not always possible. And consistency is no end for itself - mostly their is a reason for GUI-differences (and be it the simplest of all reasons - old legacy programcode). Regarding the not available highlight-icon in the right toolbar on the board-editor: My right toolbar is already completely filled - not everyone could use a 55" monitor with 12000x8000 pixel resolution. So I’m very happy that the highlight-button don’t clutters my GUI. (In the long run their is the idea to make the toolbars customizable which would resolve that conflict - but that will not happen with v6 nor with v7).

If you really think your request is legit and useful - file an gitlab-issue. Complaining may give you a good feeling (or only high blood pressure), but changes nothing in life. Take eeschema: hotkey "highlight net" different behaviour between schematic and board (#11016) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab as an example - a difference in highlight-behaviour was reported. The developers judged the issue and in the meantime board- and schematic editor are consistent in this little regard. Their is no guarantee that every request/wish will be fulfilled (could be your request gets no majority), but thats the way to influence the developers.

Another possible way for you is to use the hotkey-system (with >400 possible hotkey-commands available).If the highlight-buttons don’t suit you, maybe the highlight-hotkeys are for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.