When will Kicad 5 be available?

This is the symbols repo. Not the kicad source repo.

The kicad source stuff is on launchpad. (So you would need to look on the launchpad bugtracker for that information)

And a bit of additional information: I did not know about milestone things. Which means that thing is not maintained for the library repos. (As i am the guy who would be responsible to maintain this ;))

I think it is quite nice to have and use but managing it requires some time and patience. I wouldn’t mind updating issues with tags and updating the milestones when told so as I already track the progress of most of the issues related to this project but I don’t have the permissions to do so.

The mass file renaming is helping generate about 10 source commits a day. As some of these create new bugs, V5 really needs to wait for this to finish.
I am also feeling that the library change is not 100% yet

I assume you talk about the symbol/footprint libs.
If so then you are correct about that. Especially as there are at least two ideas that might make the lib even better. (Both would require massive changes that can not be done during a minor release cycle)
Otherwise the lib looks already good enough for a release candidate (Not the final version 5 release but a beta pre release could be made.)

1 Like

New users, 4.0.7 users migrating to recent Nightly and Nightly users updating are all appearing on the forum with symbol recovery problems too often. I know a few bugs have been fixed recently

It’s been 2 months since the v5 feature freeze, and there has been a significant uptick in patch activity and bug reports. It will probably be a few weeks before that settles down.

I’ve decided to switch to nightlies today. I am facing issues with symbol recovery although I was already using the new libs :rolling_eyes:.

I opened an old project a couple of days ago. Again, no luck with recovery. I always have ended up changing symbols manually one by one. And I still don’t know what “remapping” is because that item in the menu is grayed out in my project.

FOSDEM is going on, no news about a RC?

Look at the beginning of the .pro file. There is a list of symbol libraries, that doesn’t match recent Nightly installations.
No problems with a fresh install and a new project. I see migrating old projects as the main headache before release

Oh yes, FOSDEM that explains why it is so quiet! Live streaming page https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/streaming/

Wayne is on next :slight_smile:

Reporting live from Fosdem, Wayne is entering the stage

https://live.fosdem.org/watch/k4201

“No more than two or four weeks”, or was it three or four or two or three?

I’ve seen the live presentation, and well… news are exactly the same as in FOSDEM 2017: RC keeps being a “few weeks away”, as it was in February 2017 :confused:

Oh well, I forgot the first point: DigiKey has donated a considerable amount of money to the project (is that disclosed anywhere?), so the RC presumably has to be not too far this year? :worried:

Where did you get the idea that it was close to release last year?
Why do you think digikey sponsoring has anything to do with a release?

The reason we can be optimistic this year is because the feature freeze happend two month ago. So it will not take that much longer till all the major bugs are fixed. (Unless something extremely bad is found)

1 Like

Because that is what Wayne said last year… :slight_smile:

I remain confident that we will see RC1 sometime in 2018… just add 9 months to whatever Wayne says :slight_smile:

Release is probably going to be anything up to 9 months, but a RC1 can happen as soon as JP Charras finishes renaming files. This looks like it might be at a nice round 12,000th commit.
The confirmed critical bugs seem to be gone, but it would be madness to release a RC when you are planning mass renaming and restructuring directories

3 Likes

From Stambaugh’s own words, as already pointed

I’m quite sure DigiKey is a commercial company, being a customer.
I think there’s a good interest (on their side) in seeing KiCAD released for their updated integration of BOM/order management.

You know, the old contract for which “I pay, you do” translated to the idyllic open source world as in “I donate (and I strongly hope you’ll do)”. I beg your pardon for my cynical pragmatism, really :relaxed:

Well on the mailing list he always stated that he first wants to include the sym lib table stuff and that it is nowhere near finished. (Until he came forward at the end of summer with his merge request)

Some up-to-date information: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg33890.html

1 Like