What version of KiCAD should I download? [solved]

Hello guys,

I have tried downloaded and installed multiple versions of kicad. So far, only KiCAD 4.0.7 works. However, I have a pcb file that requires version 5.0.0 or above.
I am using MAC OS Mojave. When I installed the 5.0.0 version, it says that the software isn’t compatible with the operating system.
I have attached the error message when I opened KiCAD also the version of MAC OS I am using.

“Check with the developer to make sure pcbnew works with this version of macOS. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and macOS.
Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.”

Thank you so much for helping me!

Please use http://downloads.kicad.org/osx/testing/kicad-unified-5.0.2-5-10.14.dmg

This is the latest stable release of KiCad for MacOS 10.14.

1 Like

Hi Seth,

Thanks for the reply.
Still, I am getting the error when i try to install.

How are you trying to install? You should just be able to drag the application to your Applications folder.

Once you do that, you can run the application normally. If it doesn’t run, you will need to provide a bit more information (say the report button, perhaps)

So I dragged the KiCad to the application folder and kicad to the application support folder. I have attached the report here. Thank you for helping me!

Run KiCad, not pcbnew directly

thank you so much man!

For reference, I’ve filed a report against the Mac package for this:

1 Like

@Theodore_Ren Can you take a look at the referenced issue and comment on Adam’s questions?

just did! thanks man!

BTW: I often solve this by convert (offset …) in mm to (at …) in inch in the .kicad_pcb file if I want to open in 4.0.7, and as long as no new fancy features in 5.x had been used.

[EDITED] I just add the script that doing this converting convertors\pcp_downgrade.py in my kicad_scripts:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.