What is the best way to use KiCad for System Wiring and Harness definition?

That’s right but my intention is to show that all could be done by using KiCAD only, it’s only to upgrade the possibilities.
Only needed is to implement the possibility to draw rectangles, lines and circles tootls as the Symbol Creation has implemented to draw the cable outlines and also the Annotate reworking to give the possibility to the user to accept user definitions (duplicities) to continue making the BOM without canceling in that case that is the actually occurs nowadays.

I’ve just making modifications to the original project (.zip) upgrading to V2 to show how could be representing if it’s be helpfull to document my proposal.

Two images of Battery Cable and W1 (if no project V2 can be downloaded / installed)…

Thank you for your suggestions, but usually a single manufacturing document is made to build the cables which must be the same, in a quantity of 4 items, with the same Mfr. Part number but labeled as W1 to W4 in such a way that the costs of carrying out each W1 (including the hours to carry it out) are known, being useful for making offers by scaling by quantities.
In this case, the repetition of J1 is possible if you include the hierarchy sheets W1 to W4 along with the main sheet to document the interconnections in your system.

Do not forget that the purpose is not to show how to solve the situation from the point of view of KiCAD board design (stand-alone design), but only to show with a basic example the possibility of how KiCAD could take it to a higher level by using it to define and document a complete system in which there are subsystems and the interconnections between them.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi,
Does this mean you wish for the Schematic Editor to have the same graphic tools as the Symbol Editor?

1 Like

It would be very helpful to have a combined polyline (lines and arcs) to be able to represent contours, similar to the following example…

Currently I have used the bus tool but it is not suitable for it since it tries to put join points in all the junctions and, even if these are deleted, when the graph is copied or moved, they come out again.

6.99 now has some working graphics. 6.99 will be the stable 7.0 early next year.
There are rectangles, circles, arcs, free-angle lines and improved texts.

Maybe worth looking into?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.