What is ErrType(3) telling me?

Just fiddling with a schematic - don’t worry about nothing being connected to the Pro Mini at this stage. I run a rules check and get

What is that ruling telling me, and how do I fix it?

Hello Rick, that’s a poorly worded message telling you that there is at least one “power input” pin on a net but no “power output” pin driving it. You have two choices, you can add another power flag to pin U1-2 or you can change it’s electrical type to “power output”. Did you create that symbol or is it from the KiCad library?

PS. Hope you’re not downwind of all that smoke. :fire:

The symbol U1 is from the KiCAD library. I managed to get the pin 2 adjusted to Power Output even though KiCAD told me it wouldn’t change it. Perhaps it changed it in the drawing but couldn’t in the library because I don’t have ‘write’ privileges there.

U1 is an AP1117 3.3V regulator so I assume pin 3 would be Power Input and Pin 1 would be Passive. Is that right?

Yes, pin 3 is a power input and pin 1 can be left as passive or it could be a power input. I don’t know why the KiCad library has the output of a voltage regulator set to passive is almost always requires changing or the needless addition of a power flag.

If you modify a symbol from the KiCad library then you should probably save it to a library of your own. That way any updates to the library don’t overwrite your changes.

I would guess it is an oversight

With a comment like that, one would think that the library maintainers are only human, not the omniscient super beings that we… well… ok… Yeah, I guess they are human after all. :wink:

BTW, keep up the good work on the libraries, Rene and all the others.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.