What happened to the 2.54mm through-hole capacitors?

How do you estimate tolerances for your footprint?

Is it by drill hole size, and by how much? And, how much annular ring around the hole?

Capacitors which have, in theory, a leg distance of 5.08mm or 7.62mm. This is the main bunch of capacitors I’m using (apart from the SMD ones).

I know, and I am interested in knowing which capacitors these are. Manufacturer, series and so on.

I to was surprised by the missing 2.54mm THT capacitors. While it is true that the capacitors I am planning on using have a wide tolerance, +/- 0.5mm, it’s causing me cognitive dissonance.

I wonder if there is a topic about KiCad going metric, because that’s what appears to be happening.

Well, more than Kicad. First two random TH caps I pulled up at the place I get lots of my cheaper stuff lists mm spacing.

Blame pirates:

Well we did our research. From what i can tell most manufacturers list their dimensions in mm. (And have the pin pitch on a metric grid.) We use manufacturer datasheets to determine how footprints should look like.

The world went metric decades ago. What seems to be happening is certain geographical locations catching up to that fact :slight_smile: I don’t want to single anyone out - but there are only three countries using imperial units Liberia, Myanmar, USA.

Ironic that the US threw out its imperial overlords (quite rightly), but retained the imperial units. Although the US was one of the first countries to adopt a decimal currency,