What approach do you take to save revisions without going through GIT ?!

I really do not know whether that is a typo or some (new to me) jargon term.

Pretty much all of the GIT explanations I have encountered use jargon terms which lose me by the first or second sentence. But when I see “command line” I think “forget it. That sounds like programming.”

Project frites

Don’t you use chips in your projects then? Haha typo!

One of the GUI wrappers to git like Tortoise or Snail Git or whatever suits your OS takes away any pain of using the command line.

As in pomme frites? I do not speak Russian. (I am kidding. I have been to Paris a couple of times. But I bet that many Americans would be unfamiliar with frites - chips - French fries. But:

What did you intend to type without the typo? I still do not know…

I see it as two choices:

1. Find some new software to interface with a mysterious website to store and organize my versions.

2. Copy and rename.

(2) sounds much easier.

This discussion does lead me to think that a revision log (in the folder one level up) might be helpful. Rather than some sort of text file in each folder which is what I had been thinking. I have never done either…

1 Like

I believe the intended wording was project files.

A mysterious website is not a must. Git runs local, once installed can be used without internet connection.

Any mysterious website able to host you repository is one of the benefits of using a VCS IMHO.

Project files (not Project frites) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Really don’t know what autocorrect was thinking. Now just recovering from a power cut from Storm Eunice in UK (122mph winds 10 miles down the road)

This works best for my project management… Been doing it this way a long time and, though the software I use changes every few years, my approach stays the same…

For my Kicad Projects, I do this:

• Create the project, such as MyProject_V1_R0
• I copy the PCB and Schematic files and Paste them back into the projects folder.
• I rename them if needed
• For a New or modified PCB/Schematic, I either create New one’s (using the Icon’s) or, Copy and Paste previous ones and change the names

Result is a Project with multiple PCB’s, Schematic’s, Netlist’s…etc

Each File’s Sheet has the correct FileName in the Legend

For Project Management (tracking) I use a DataBase I created in Libre Office (here’s a link).
I call the DataBase by a Plugin

Vid below shows example…

Example of File Tree in Kicad

Proj_Tracking

1 Like

Oh! Good luck and take care.

Indeed Yes…I guess you somehow got a French word put into @John_Pateman 's spell checker dictionary?

Weren’t they there to begin with? I think that normally all of those are in the project folder.

I meant the storm he suffered…

Yes, the Original PCB and Schematic are there. And, if original name has VxRx (for Version and Rev) then only need to Copy and Paste the copies into the folder (and rename as desired).

It’s just ‘Copy&Paste’ stuff as usual so, how User does it, doesn’t matter.

Point being: A single Project Folder can contain as many PCB/Schematics as desired and all will have unique names (and, if desired, unique Netlist/etc… all properly named and labeled in the Sheet’s Legend).

Yes I understand and agree. That is why I said “Indeed Yes.” But I was also commenting that John’s spell checker made a strange choice.

OK I have never experimented with having multiple Project, Schematic, and pcb files all in one folder. I assume that the project will only “see” the pcb and schematic files with the same name but due to risk of confusion I have not tried working with that.

When any of the .PRO files in the project are opened, All of the Files in the project will be listed. Can open any of them.

For Test:
• Create a New Project and do as I instructed

Simple and you can’t mess up anything (except possibly the Test …)

As Aris_Kimi states, an external repository is not required. Git works fine with local files only. Github is simply one of many providers that host repositories. It is also possible for any adept admin to host a repository on a LAN, that functionality is included in the reference implementation of git.

Incidentally the book that documents Git is free, and can be found here: Git - Book

BTW for those who haven’t heard it before, a git quip which Linus made: “I’m an egotistical bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First ‘Linux’, now ‘git’.”

:wink:

2 Likes

@BlackCoffee, is it possible to use multisheet designs in your approach? I mean, you can have subsheet, shared accross two projects in the same dir. And sch v1_R1 can have slightly different the same subsheet than v1_R0, meaning, that one needs to create-rename subsheet inside schematic and in filesystem…?

The Best answer /advice is to setup a simple Test Project and try the various things you might want to know the answers to… That investment costs only a few minutes of your time… and the software is Free

I always suspected from context, but 54 years later… :wink:

And curse Sir Walter Raleigh.
He was such a stupid get

I think we would get interesting result if we make a table with poster age and +/- for using/not using VCS :slight_smile:

I have never tried VCS or git (I understand that git is a name of one VCS implementation, but not sure).
I don’t feel a need for any. I don’t know what it could give me.
I know for some of you it can sound like “I design PCBs without drawing schematic and I don’t feel a need for schematic.”.
I have never noticed any problem with versions.
My PCBs have the names like BR50_A and the next version is BR50_B and so on. If change is such that the software need not be changed than I name it with additional number (like BR50_B1).
I read it as Bibi (our access control system name) Reader 5 (means mifare) and 0 is for first case we used for readers. In next case it is BR51 and in next (with LCD display) is BR52 and so on.
Unique readers have 4 in place of 5. Smaller numbers were used in previous century for magnetic stripe card readers.
I don’t place at schematic any notes about what is the difference between this and previous version.
I have that in separate spreadsheet were each PCB version has only one line for it. I write there only important reasons I have done the next version.
I like to have all that information for all PCBs together as the reason for updating several PCBs happens to be the same. Having it together I protect myself against forgetting that I have changed something in another PCB and when I will be doing that one (2,3… years later) I planned to make the same change by the way.

5 Likes

Piotr I agree 217.09% +/-50% :slight_smile:

That is the part which I have been lacking.

@Piotr as you know your ESL is not perfect. I wonder whether some other ESL forum participants might have difficulty with your post.

Well, beiing ESL myself, I have no problem with his posts. @Piotr: we ESLs have to stand together against that MEGA (Make English Great Again) movement :rofl:

2 Likes