What am I doing wrong in Eeschema?

@Rene - so I’ve now included a third unit for power only and superimposed it over the first unit and connected it all up and now have the following:

So I connected the grounds together and defined the GND pin as a Power Output and got the following:

Success! So the GND Pin needs to be a Power Output, right?

Goz

which gnd did you define as power out? I hope not the one of U1!
Place a power flag near on the gound net near where you connect ground to your external power source. (Most likely a connector)

Do it this way to ensure that ERC can detect if you have connected the ground pins of your symbol to where you get power into the PCB

@Gozzle: I hope you not ignoring my response. I were telling you to add PWR_FLAG for the GND. And should not try to use Power Output type for any symbol as much as you can.

GND is a PWR_FLAG according to my KiCad. Or which PWR_FLAG do you mean?

there is a symbol called PWR_FLAG.

It is in the same library as the GND symbol but it is for a very different purpose.

The PWR_FLAG symbol has a single pin defined as power output. It is intended to mark the place where you supply power. (The connector where you connect to your external power supply, after a passive device in the supply line like a fuse, …)

The GND symbol has a single hidden power input pin. Such a pin is a global label (yes this is hacky). Such a symbol is called a power port or power symbol.

More details see: ErrType(3): Pin connected to some others pins but no pin to drive it

Please go down to section #43, or search for “PWR_FLAG” in following page:
http://docs.kicad.org/4.0.5/en/getting_started_in_kicad.html#using-eeschema

I don’t like the way they use it in this tutorial. By connecting the power flag directly to a power symbol you loose the reason to have it. I would suggest to place the pwr_flag symbol as near as possible to the place where the board is supplied.

2 Likes

YIPPEEEE!!

I’ve got a three module LM556 and the Vcc and GND pins are “Power Input” pins. I flagged the GND input pin to my board as a PWR_FLAG and it all works!

Thanks to you all for your patience with me. I’ve learned so much about KiCad just because of this one single problem.

Time for bed…

Goz

A PWR_FLAG is virtual schematic element with the pin set to Power Output.

How many different ways can a multi-pin connector have power applied to the PCB from the Outside World?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.