Wayne Stambaugh Announcement

I reread your posts and agree my characterization of what you said was wrong, I edited my response before you replied.

2 Likes

Dave has a successful site but Iā€™m not sure he is really that much of an influence the average user there. Iā€™m not dropping coin on Altium because Dave prefers it. Itā€™s not the type of site that will attract people that canā€™t make their own choices. :wink: I havenā€™t been to the site lately but when I did go on a regular basis I could go days and weeks without reading one of his posts.

talk on the tube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL0yTvJKA5c

1 Like

Whats happening to Kicad is exactly what happened to Linux. Linus Torvalds was a paid employee of various companies and always seemed to spend his time working on code. Red Hat and others repackaged linux and made money by selling support. Its a good thing.

Red Hat also gave Linus $20,000,000 in stock options when they went public out of gratitude. Maybe Wayne is hoping for something like that.

9 posts were split to a new topic: More atomic library discussion

For everyone that wants to start a bit digging who that guy behind Wit really is.

He has co-founded Digital Ocean (as Lead Architect). Also he has supported KiCon without even being mentioned as a sponsor. I believe Jeff is serious about supporting KiCad get to a new level. He is an open source evangelist and whatever he is funding at this moment pays 100% into open source hardware and software stack. Wit as far as I understood is his vehicle to fund that.

On another note: I do believe there are a lot of commercial beneficiaries (e.g. us, AISLER, a prototype manufacturer) and I think we have an obligation to fund KiCad developers so that the project can be sustainable. Digi-Key (cc: @Digi-man) sees it the same way. (and while we work professionally on this, we encourage our employees to get involved with the project also in their free time). We genuinely believe the more commercial players (and thatā€™s most likely distributors, part manufacturers and contract manufacturers) support KiCad with donations, the easier it will become to make it a de-facto standard and the best PCB Design Tool on the planet.

12 Likes

Daves background with Altium is that he used to work for them so he had the software anyway and it is what he has always known. He got a PCB to review that was designed with KiCad and wanted to experiment and add ground and VCC layers so he had to work with KiCad again and started to realize how much it has progressed.

The forum caters for talk about all of the main ECAD packages with sub categories for each one.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.