WARNING: Avoid all links to kicad - pcb.org -- Use kicad.org

I’m not internet/software guy and may be what I write is senseless. What do you think of adding in the KiCad installation packages the information to avoid kicad - pcb . org having in mind peoples who don’t look here at all. May be it gives nothing more that having such info at kicad.org.

There’s no clean way of making that visible and not annoying as hell each day with a popup.

Just an update to my earlier post. Just now I had a quick look at both Bing and Duckduckgo. I did not see the subject bogus link, at least not on the first page. So Google looks like the bad guy here.

The google result may be gone by now after I did something.

Anyway because the telephone game is happening on other sites.

1. We moved to kicad.org last year. Digikey donated it back then.
  2. kicad- pcb. org was sold recently and unexpectedly. We didn’t expect the behavior of a former project leader to urge third parties to change all links. We updated the majority of links in our control a year ago.
  3. While DigiKey was awesome for the donation, they didn’t swoop in last minute to save the day here :wink:

We’re working on switching out links on Digi-Key stuff…

11 Likes

@Piotr,

Argh! You just did what we want to avoid: you wrote kicad - pcb . org so that it became a link, and some people have even clicked that! Please edit it.

WOW! It is gone indeed!! You have pull with Google! Time for the google giggle!

Done. I didn’t supposed here it is also a problem. I, myself also checked what is there. My link to KiCad was saved in 2017 in my Opera menu so I had to change it today.

I have started the link updates on here, though I believe Discourse will be reindexing, especially for search. I will continue to check and update outbound links.

5 Likes

You may see the site go in and out of read only mode, but many links have been swapped over. Some of the holdouts are embedded “cards” from external sites (GitHub, etc) that are pulled dynamically. Give it a few more hours as things get indexed, but from there we should be able to go in and change things directly if needed.

3 Likes

Thanks @ChrisGammell! And sorry for the headache

Is there a banned word list for Discourse? I can find a reference to ‘bulk moderation’ but no follow up.

EDIT: Found it under ‘logs’. Not what I’d call intuitive. :wink:

2 Likes

Lol, the topic title got replaced

OK. Not my smartest move.

EDIT: I added some spaces in the title and opening post so I guess it doesn’t use fuzzy logic.

Ha, my bulk find/replace on the backend did the same with Seth’s original post (hence the edits).

Would there be any way to also change forum.kicad.info to instead use forum.kicad.org subdomain?

Or is this website technically unofficial as well?

Think of it as ‘decentralized’. :smiley:

I posted about this on both the AdaFruit and SparkFun forums. (My post on SparkFun is awaiting moderation so the link might not work right away.)

I did notice that at least one SparkFun learning system post uses the old URL, so hopefully they can fix that one any any others that I didn’t locate.

Has anyone mentioned this on EEVBlog? I honestly haven’t checked yet.

3 Likes

Yes, I saw a post pointing back to this thread.

2 Likes