WARNING: Avoid all links to kicad - pcb.org -- Use kicad.org

The way back machine has been tracking -pcb for years so it should be possible to spot a change via this. It slowed down trawling it due to lack of change but it does pick up

https://web.archive.org/web/*/■■■■■■■■■■■■■

I was reviewing new (to me) vendors that supported native Kicad files for quoting a project and ran across Muilt-CB’s page linking to the old website:
https://www.multi-circuit-boards.eu/en/support/pcb-data/kicad.html

I have sent them an email pointing out the issue with a link to the blog post.

Aaron

A big thanx to @bboyho for working on the SparkFun website updating links to kicad.org and even finding one of my own comments that I missed.

2 Likes

Sorry, just saw this now. We just updated the interview with Wayne, and KiCad plugin post to point to kicad.org instead. Let me know if you find any other pages linking to the old URL and we’ll make the update.

1 Like

Unfortunately it appears that the original poster either no longer participates on the train forum or just decided not to fix the link. Also, multiple requests to forum moderation to change the link have been unsuccessful. However, the thread is now locked but I don’t believe that prevents someone from using the obsolete link.

Apparently the KiCad name / logo is trademarked.

Is that good enough as a base for successful legal action against that website?

I mean it’s out of our hands, it’s up to the linux foundation. Also it’s the internet, it’ll take months to process a claim with ICANN. Don’t worry about it.

It is listed for sale on escrow platform - kicad - pcb . org

“Buy it now” for $150,000.00 :astonished:

Please, @Carson_Cristopher, edit your post so that it’s not a real link. We try to avoid linking to that site, that’s the whole point here.

Carson started another thread at the same time as this post and that other thread was with the same content. That other one has been flagged as spam and removed.

I’d rather pay the $150K to attorneys to seize it under TM protections. Well, I’d rather see it go to a couple extra developers. :wink:

Sounds like someone received the lawyer’s letter

Just in case it wasn’t obvious, please do not bid on this domain. We’ll see if the team can acquire it for a reasonable number

Just curious:
Is there data available on the popularity of the old domain name compared to the domain name donated by Digikey?

Or is that “strategically sensitive” data at this moment?

Bid on a poisoned well? :wink:

$2.00 tops.

Absolutely no more!!!

I believe you didn’t mean $2 would actually be realistic.

I wonder how much would be good for both KiCad and larger internet community.

First, it’s possible that we have already been exceptionally quick and effective at hiding the hijacked domain. Whatever they would use it for, other than selling it, they depend on people going there, and people generally don’t go there from here or from search engine results or other respectable sources. There are links still “here and there” but not significantly, and many of the remaining will be cleaned over time (sites with software lists, linux package descriptions etc.).

People who don’t know the domain name won’t write “kicad-pcb” by guessing or by accident. That’s the good side of having used the non obvious domain name in the past and now governing the obvious one. The old one didn’t have any benefits over the new one.

Second, offering so much money that they will earn more than they have spent just feeds the unhealthy phenomenon.

At the moment it seems to me that the domain name isn’t really worth much. Their chances of actually doing something with it which would hurt KiCad are pretty low. Infiltrating dangerous modified downloadable KiCad binaries is much much less probable than just adding suspicious advertisement links to the old web site. The former is very rare, at least as far as I know, while I have actually seen the latter on other sites. Modifying KiCad would require much work from them with little payback. Users are exposed to malicious ad sites anyway and should protect themselves against them by some generic means; we can’t protect them from all possible attacks which might use the name of KiCad.

For these reasons I think the domain name isn’t really worth much, neither for them nor for us.

1 Like

Meanwhile, the bidding is up to 155 pounds

Anyway, we (or rather the authors of kicad.org contents) can use Copyright to prevent the scammers from using contents copied directly from kicad.org
Then, both domain registrar and hosting provider could be notified on copyright violation and requested to take the offending content down.

1 Like