Want vendor recommendation for fab and partial assembly

Perhaps they have changed their modus operandi. But JLCPCB tells me (in website chat) that unpopulated component locations will get bare pads (i.e; no solder paste).

I do not want to be stuck trying to assemble missing ICs close to taller components, so I am thinking to ask them to mount only some of the SMT components: the semiconductors and MLCCs.

I have to add my good experience with PCBWAY. They are more expensive than JLCPCB but they do provide more “standard” service. They can source any component for you, they are not limited to the predefined library of components and they can assemble both sides. Or you can send them your components. They also provide picture of the assembled boards and can fix things before they ship it to you. And they offer the basic assembly for cca 30USD (without components and with maximum of cca 600 components).
My subjective opinion: JLCPCB can be dirt cheap if you manage to get everything from their library and do not need to assemble both sides, PCBWAY is a step up both in quality of service and price. And in PCBWAY you have a dedicated contact person and mine speaks much better English than the one in JLCPCB :slight_smile:

Thanks, Kedarius

Right now my project is on hold so to speak. If it gets started again I will check out PCBWAY. I have given up on JLCPCB for assembling this project because they cannot get the LM5155. That component is my main reason for seeking assembly help.

That’s is the issue with JLCPCB. If you design your board with their library in mind, you can get it really cheap (even like $15 for 5 simple boards). But as soon as you have one component outside of their library you are out of luck - in my case it was SODIMM connector for Raspberry Pi CM3.
And all the other assembly shops will have a setup fee which is an expensive problem for a prototype. At PCBWAY they offer nice price for basic assembly while they can source components…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.